Fortified wine/liquor oxidation

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:42 pm

Not a really serious question, just a curious one. Can anyone tell me why fortified wines/liqueurs/liquors don't oxidize like beer and regular wine do? I'm sure they do at some rate, but why does it seem to happen so much more slowly?
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: Fortified wine/liquor oxidation

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:17 am

Because it's fortified... it has defenses.

Seriously though, I would guess it's the introduction of the spirits. Most spirits oxidize very, very slowly compared to beer/wine. It has a lot to do with the alcohol content... or rather the ratio of ethanol compared to volatile compounds. It's similar to why herbs in herbal liqueurs don't break down.

Basically, it has a lot to do with the ABV & what other volatiles are in solution. Beer has a low ABV with lots of easily oxidized compounds. Fortified wine has a much higher ABV & a lower concentration of volatiles. Whiskey has a high ABV & nearly no volatiles. Beer can go bad in hours, whiskey can last for months if not years with nearly no effect. Fortified wine... I don't really know since I don't really drink it or have it around all that often.

It will go stale, but if you keep it sealed tightly & in a cool place, you'll inevitably get some increased longevity out of it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks Oz. I suspected as much. I also suspected that you would be the one to have the answers. Glad I post in the same forum as you. :nutters:
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:16 pm

bazookazilla wrote:Thanks Oz. I suspected as much. I also suspected that you would be the one to have the answers. Glad I post in the same forum as you. :nutters:

Are you kidding me? I am almost positive he just made that all up.... :asshat: :lol:
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:39 pm

brewinhard wrote:Are you kidding me? I am almost positive he just made that all up.... :asshat: :lol:

Image Back off, tricycle. I will cut you.

Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Off Topic Stuff