Re: The Firearm Thread

Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:07 am

brewinhard wrote:
Ozwald wrote:
brewinhard wrote:I guess I know where I will be heading when the apocalypse hits. :bnarmy:

PS - I am a mean chef!

You're going to have to bring something else to the table though. I've been cooking commercially for almost 20 years. How are you on a tricycle? :D

Not too shabby on the tricycle, but nude rollerskating is really my new thing! :asshat:

Skate on over! :D

MNHazmat wrote:Suppressors were finally legalized here in MN. I'm awaiting my paperwork so I can finish my .300 AAC suppressed AR build :pop

That's awesome. I know Vermont just recently became the 41st state to legalize them too. Which was kinda surprising, since the whole "Live Free or Die" thing & the fact they were one of the first full constitutional carry states.

They've been legal here... I think always.. but I'm a little weirded out on the whole class 3 thing. It'd be nice to have one, just from a safety gear perspective, but the $200 stamp, the 6-9 month wait, the federal bs... I don't need/want one that bad.

I hope you formed a trust to buy it, instead of as an individual purchase.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:36 am

These are my 2 most trusted "companions"... I am hoping to purchase parts to build a .556 hunting rifle soon!

"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:34 pm

Hey Oz,
Any tips/suggestions for first arma-lite style rifle purchase??
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:52 pm

Ozwald wrote:The Twins

I love my Nova for ducks and geese.
Jaeger48

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:40 am

bazookazilla wrote:Hey Oz,
Any tips/suggestions for first arma-lite style rifle purchase??

It depends on what you're looking to do with it. It's pretty silly to buy a complete rifle & start swapping out parts with upgrades, like a ton of people do. At that point is better to just build one from scratch. There's just no point in buying a $700 rifle, throwing $1500 in parts at it, just to end up with an $1750 rifle & a pile of parts that are next to useless. If you buy a complete upper & a stripped lower it's pretty easy to do yourself.

If you're looking for an entry level rifle just to get into the platform & have some fun with it, I really like the Ruger AR-556 carbine. It's got a great trigger out of the box & really doesn't need anything to perform well. The S&W would be my 2nd choice. Most people who own an AR own at least 2 of them, so you can always put the Ruger or S&W to good use while you build your dream rifle.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:37 pm

It's no secret at work that I'm a gun guy... and this time of year in Big Sky there's one thing on everyone's mind. Black bears. We've had one on our back porch a half dozen times in the last 2 weeks. Once he poked his nose in the back door. He's been in the neighbor's dumpster, another got sprayed in a garage a block away & a sow has been poking around another neighbors place.

So today this happened...

Coworker: So what's the best handgun for bears?
Me: Are you nuts? Bears are large & powerful creatures as is. Why on earth would you want to give a gun to a bear?
Coworker: *silence* ... No, seriously.
Me: Fine. *short pause* Well I'd say a subcompact 9mm is out. They'd have a hard time getting one of those huge claws in the trigger guard.
Coworker: *walks away shaking his head*

I'd rate my day a success just based on that interaction.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:15 pm

:bnarmy:
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:48 am

Ozwald wrote:It's no secret at work that I'm a gun guy... and this time of year in Big Sky there's one thing on everyone's mind. Black bears. We've had one on our back porch a half dozen times in the last 2 weeks. Once he poked his nose in the back door. He's been in the neighbor's dumpster, another got sprayed in a garage a block away & a sow has been poking around another neighbors place.

So today this happened...

Coworker: So what's the best handgun for bears?
Me: Are you nuts? Bears are large & powerful creatures as is. Why on earth would you want to give a gun to a bear?
Coworker: *silence* ... No, seriously.
Me: Fine. *short pause* Well I'd say a subcompact 9mm is out. They'd have a hard time getting one of those huge claws in the trigger guard.
Coworker: *walks away shaking his head*

I'd rate my day a success just based on that interaction.

Ha! Looks like you will be writing for Conan O'Brien soon!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Stuff