Re: Good Brewhouses & Brew Pubs in Maine

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:11 pm

A visit to Allagash and Bissell Bros is a must-say hi to Hester at Bissell, she's awesome. HIt up Foundation for Epiphany and Austin Street for some Brett based beers. On my next trip I will be going to Ebenezer's, but that's a few hours from Portland. If in Portland, visit Novare Res and King's Head for beer bars, maybe Great Lost Bear. Next to Great Lost Bear is Maine brewing supply, which has a nice selection of beer for sale too. A nice spot on the way up to Portland is Barrelled Souls-cool vibe and nice people.

Try J's seafood in Portland if you can get in. When Pigs Fly near Barrelled Souls is very nice for beer lovers and other people.

Go up to Freeport for Maine Brewing and outlet shopping (for the wife), LL Bean is there too. Don't go to Gritty McDuffs-shitty beer and shitty food.
WWJPD

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:53 am

WWJPD wrote:A visit to Allagash and Bissell Bros is a must-say hi to Hester at Bissell, she's awesome. HIt up Foundation for Epiphany and Austin Street for some Brett based beers. On my next trip I will be going to Ebenezer's, but that's a few hours from Portland. If in Portland, visit Novare Res and King's Head for beer bars, maybe Great Lost Bear. Next to Great Lost Bear is Maine brewing supply, which has a nice selection of beer for sale too. A nice spot on the way up to Portland is Barrelled Souls-cool vibe and nice people.

Try J's seafood in Portland if you can get in. When Pigs Fly near Barrelled Souls is very nice for beer lovers and other people.

Go up to Freeport for Maine Brewing and outlet shopping (for the wife), LL Bean is there too. Don't go to Gritty McDuffs-shitty beer and shitty food.

Great beer store (Bier Cellar) just up the road from Great Lost Bear too. Barrelled Souls is just across the river from Banded Horn and across the street from Funtown/Splashtown (have a few beers and go hit the water park? :) ). You can skip Run of the Mill (in between BH and BS)...nothing special there.

In Portland, I'd also skip Shipyard...not much of a tour and I hate that Ringwood yeast.

I'm sure by the time you head up that way next year, there will be 3-5 new breweries too.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:01 am

Moved to the Travel subforum.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:42 am

Agree with previous recommendations for Novare Res in Portland; great place with great tap list. Also, the Crab Rangoon Grilled Cheese sandwich was amazing. We did the allagash tour, which wasn't all that interesting. I'd recommend just stopping by thier tasting room, doing the tasting, and picking up any special bottles that are available. They have a special beer by the case (patersbier?) that is only available there.

If you drive up the coast from Portland towards Bar Harbor, HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking a 5 mile detour north at Newcastle to Oxbow Brewing. Last year they were getting ready to open a barrel house in Portland, so you might look for that also/instead.

If you do Bar Harbour, recommend Atlantic Brewing and Mainly Meat, which are ajoining and have good beer and great BBQ.

Also look for lobster pounds along the coast, many of which you can bring your own beer to enjoy with some fresh lobster. Our favorite was Young's Lobster Pound in Belfast.

We didn't make it to Ebenezer's, as it was just to far out of the way. If you feel the same way, thier sister bar Lion's Pride / Lively Brewing in Brunswick is supposed to have similarly amazing beers available. Timing didn't work for us to stop there for lunch, so I can't verify that.
Chris Graham wrote: "What do I do with this?"

Justin wrote: "Just blow."
yellowcolumbia

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:24 am

yellowcolumbia wrote:If you drive up the coast from Portland towards Bar Harbor, HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking a 5 mile detour north at Newcastle to Oxbow Brewing. Last year they were getting ready to open a barrel house in Portland, so you might look for that also/instead.

Their barrel and bottle room is near Old Port, less than a mile from Novre Res.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:27 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions! I was told by the future wife I can only pick four places. For sure Allagash. then a Meadery, Distillery. we will be flying into and out of Boston, is Samuel Adams worth stopping at?

Skol
Beer now cheaper than Avgas
HoppedHangar

Previous

Return to Travel