Hop Rhizomes or Potted Hop Plant?

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:48 pm

I'm looking to start growing my own hops and have been looking into rhizomes. Then I see the jumbo rooted rhizomes and also potted plants! Are the potted plants that much easier to grow that they are worth the extra money? I might get a few rhizomes and one potted plant to see if there's a difference besides the potted plant growing sooner. On a side note, any ideas on good varieties for growing in Chicago?
Captain Scotch

Re: Hop Rhizomes or Potted Hop Plant?

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:01 pm

I don't see the advantage of potted hops as I never had any trouble growing rhizomes. The jumbo rooted rhizomes are supposed to get you in production faster, but you will have a good crop (several ounces per plant) the second season after planting even with regular rhizomes.

Recommend you stay with aroma or dual purpose varieties because, unless you own an HPLC, there is no good way to determine alpha acid content in your hops.

I can't really speak to varieties that grow well in Chicago, but if you check the seller's varieties suggested for your horticultural region it will be pretty accurate.
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:39 pm

My vote is for potted plants. Around here, you can get a good sized plants for about $12, and rhizomes for about half that. The rhizomes need a lot more attention when first planted, and they produce a handful of hops at best the first year.

While Its not a choice I would make, you could probably break the potted plant up into multiple plants. The potted plants I've bought could have easily been broken into 3 of the typical sized rhizomes.

all my experience is based on the non jumbo rhizomes, so i can't comment on those. Also if you have any local homebrew connections, ask around about getting rhizomes. I dig up and through a bunch every year because of the pervasive nature of hop plants.
Bad Goat Brewing

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Bad Goat Brewing wrote:Around here, you can get a good sized plants for about $12, and rhizomes for about half that.

I'm sure that's the case in Oregon, but I expect that potted hops are somewhat rare in Chicago, and that the shipping cost of potted plants to Chicago (and the quality of the product on receipt) is going to be bit problematic.
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:59 pm

If you can get potted plants for a reasonable price there in chicago go for it. Your yield will be better and their is an expanding market of hop growers in your region. Especially since nhc was is michigan last year. But if not slug it out with rhizomes for a couple of years then expect good results. Just get hops that grow well your climate. Just remember that it takes 3-4 years for new rhizomes to yield what they should as a mature plant.
Dump bad beer, don't give it to your friends
cascadiabrewer

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:29 pm

I'm thinking of getting a couple of each to see how they differ
Captain Scotch

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:59 am

I've got a bunch of 'zomes hanging out in the fridge waiting for all this damn snow to melt away! so close!!!
Captain Scotch

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:51 am

Www.greatlakeshops.com. :-)

They were great a few years ago when I ordered from them, well worth the extra cash
Stinkfist

Next

Return to Homegrown