Re: New to corking. Oil in corker iris?

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:59 pm

I am going to try the humidifier technique.
norfire0

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:24 am

I toss my corks in starsan and go for it. I cleaned my corker before the first use and then spritzed it with starsan. I too use it for sours in belgian bottles. Works great.
Klickitat Jim

Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:30 pm

My iris is mounted so it just sticks over the round opening the cork goes through making it hard to pull the bottle out. Any one els? Do I have a bad corker? I have an Italian floor corker from MooreBeer.
norfire0

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:08 pm

norfire0 wrote:My iris is mounted so it just sticks over the round opening the cork goes through making it hard to pull the bottle out. Any one els? Do I have a bad corker? I have an Italian floor corker from MooreBeer.

That's how they all are. Use a drilled stopper on the part that pushes the cork in. That way, you'll stop the initial push with some of the cork exposed. Then you'll have to lift the handle slightly, remove the stopper, and then release the spring loaded platform. Then as you drop the handle, catch the bottle and half inserted cork in one motion. Requires a little bit of coordination, and looks like you are giving the corker a reach around. Should be no problem for an asshat like you.

:jnj :unicornrainbow: :jnj

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Ok I've got the reach around thing down. I am using a #7 stopper and I am having trouble getting the right cork height. I'll be working on it....
norfire0

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:50 am

norfire0 wrote:Ok I've got the reach around thing down. I am using a #7 stopper and I am having trouble getting the right cork height. I'll be working on it....

Mine pushes Belgians in too far too. The nut needs to screw down another half inch but no threads there. The stopper just mooshes to varying depths. So I'm getting a half inch thick collar with set screw next time I head to the hardware store. That ought to solve it for about fifty cents.
Klickitat Jim

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing