Reduce head of bottled beer

Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:34 pm

i have a bottled beer that is good aside from way to much head is there any product I can add as I pour into a glass to knock it down a bit?
Redtown

Re: Reduce head of bottled beer

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:22 pm

You might try simply popping off the caps and putting new sanitized caps on. Maybe that would let some of the over pressure off. Give them a. Few days afferward to simmer down.
Klickitat Jim

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:02 am

You could pop all the caps and pour into a sanitized pitcher, then refill and recap. Major PITA but it will help. Or every time you have a beer, pour into a pitcher first, let settle for 10 minutes, then pour into your pint glass.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:50 pm

dmtaylor wrote:You could pop all the caps and pour into a sanitized pitcher, then refill and recap. Major PITA but it will help. Or every time you have a beer, pour into a pitcher first, let settle for 10 minutes, then pour into your pint glass.

I would think that might lead to some oxidation issues even if done very carefully. Do you notice any off flavors that might indicate an infection has taken hold leading to the over carbonation or was there too much priming sugar added?
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:36 pm

It could also be due to high levels of proteins instead of over carbonation.
trouble brewin

Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:36 am

brewinhard wrote:
dmtaylor wrote:You could pop all the caps and pour into a sanitized pitcher, then refill and recap. Major PITA but it will help. Or every time you have a beer, pour into a pitcher first, let settle for 10 minutes, then pour into your pint glass.

I would think that might lead to some oxidation issues even if done very carefully. Do you notice any off flavors that might indicate an infection has taken hold leading to the over carbonation or was there too much priming sugar added?

What caused it is another issue entirely. If recapping solves the problem, but then you start to find some that are over-carbed again later, infection. Although, by that point you would probably taste the infection.

If they don't taste bad now, I would just pop, recap & drink them up quickly.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:51 am

brewinhard wrote:

I am fairly sure it was just to much sugar. I may recap them or just live with it. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Redtown

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Next time when you prime your batch check out a priming sugar nomograph for more accurate results. There is one in the back of the Brewing Classic Styles book as well as online. You would be surprised how much less sugar can be used compared to the 5 oz packages that come with home-brew shop kits.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing