Quick disconnect?

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:04 am

I have made up a portable bar that will hold one double jockey box. It sits over two kegs. Has a shelf for the Jockey Box and the top is removable.

I plan on putting a dispensing tower in the top with a drain box. What I need to do,which I have not seen, is to make the dispensing tubes from the tower quick disconnect to the front of the jockey box so that I can remove the top to add ice, etc.

Will also need shut off valves to hold the pressure/beer in the lines.

Anyone aware of anything that will work? I thought about using air pressure couplings from an air compressor but not sure they will work with liquids.

thanks
chenige

Re: Quick disconnect?

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:38 am

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking to be honest. I've never seen a problem with adding ice to a jockey box without disconnecting anything... hell you could do it while someone was pouring a beer. You don't need a tower for a box either, it should have your taps built right into the side of it.

If you need QD's for the beer line B3 & NB sell ones that seal when you disconnect them. I use them on my adapters so I can swap a Sankey & Corny keg on any tap. They don't hold high pressure, but can handle plenty more than serving pressure.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:41 am

This bar has a top right over the jockey box that needs to be lifted off to access the top of the jockey box to add ice. The top will have a tap tower in it that is connected to the jockey box outlets. I am looking for a way to disconnect the short hoses from the tower to the jockey box outlets.

lets see if this photo link works. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kfhtng091k7m ... 5.JPG?dl=0

I will try the source you gave. thanks
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: If you use a photo hosting site, you can use the [img ] code to post pictures.
chenige

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:50 pm

I suppose you could do it that way if your box has line outs instead of shanks. Seems like way too much trouble for what it's worth TBH. I'd be concerned about the lines dangling from the tower when it was disconnected, not to mention towers really need some cooling inside them - your beer is going to warm up considerably after it leaves the box. On a standard tower install the hole is going to be the same size as the I.D. of the tower to let cooling from the kegerator to get up in there. Even then they still transfer a lot of heat. A lot of folks will mount a computer fan to blow air into the tower to help it out.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:46 pm

You may make a colossal mess from the beer draining out of the tower every time you disconnect, but these quick disconnects on the beer side might be what you're looking for. I'm not sure if there's an auto shut off male for the other side.

http://morebeer.com/products/beer-gas-t ... utoff.html
jonboris

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Those are the QD's I was mentioning before. IIRC the B3 ones will hold gas line pressure, the NB ones will auto shut off. I haven't bought new ones in years, but I use both. One from one company for the gas lines & the other ones for the gas lines. If you're not drunk it also helps you to avoid clipping gas lines & beer lines together.

It doesn't address the other issues, but it's a start. I'd recommend both gas & beer line QD's on any set up regardless.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:12 pm

Check out what Parker and Colder have for products. Many Stainless, Thermoplastic and Brass options in valved and unvalved versions. Lots available out there in the industry. I personally hate the beer QD's given my company, Parker, makes so many other QD's that have much better reliability and function. I use them all over the brewery.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:58 pm

OK, I ordered all the bits to make this thing hopefully work. This box will be used for events where the beer will flow pretty fast so not really much time for the beer to warm up in the short run through the tower. However I will insulate the 3/16" tower hoses as much as I can (and I will keep as short as possible).

Inlet
1 3/8" OD coil-3/8" taper female
1 5/16" OD coil-3/8" taper female
2 3/8" flare male x 3/8" barb 6.95 amazon
2 3/8" clamps amazon
3/8" hose 5/8" BSP female
regulator 3/8" barb

outlet
coil-5/8" female
1 5/8" BSP shank x4", 3/8" id 23 Micromatic
2 5/8" BSP x 3/8" hose 18 Micromatic
2 coupling female 3/8" barb HFCD17612 10.73 freshwater