Lagering and Buckets

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:05 pm

I'm lagering away my first lager. I left it in the primary bucket. I don't have to but did, just because I'm lazy. I know some people think O2 permeability is an issue with buckets, but I only plan on lagering a month or so. Is this a real issue or is it like hot side aeration? Is O2 permeability or autolysis a concern for normal lagers, or anything sitting in the bucket for long term storage?
:jnj
gotsumbeers

Re: Lagering and Buckets

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:47 pm

A month on the primary yeast is no problem. I would transfer it to another vessel (I lager in my kegs) after that time to lager further and clear.

Is this month in addition to ferment time or a month from pitching? I myself wouldn't leave it on the yeast longer than a month, but hat's me...I have no science behind it. Just a feeling.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:17 pm

I fermented for three weeks. I did the warming up test for diacetyl and reached about two points above my predicted terminal gravity. At that point I began cooling down to 32F. It is not too late to transfer to a carboy. But I wonder, is much O2 really going to pass through the plastic in a couple of months? Will yeast have any activity and want to eat themselves at that cold a temp?

Do people out there lager in the buckets without racking off?
gotsumbeers

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:45 pm

You most definitely should rack your beer into a small 5 gallon carbon preferably under a blanket of CO2 if possible. Those buckets do allow oxygen to enter over time and would most likely greatly oxidize your precious lager.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:45 pm

I hear you brewinhard. I can do that, but I'm just curious. It was a 10 gal batch I split in two, and now I'm thinking I might just rack one to a carboy just to see what happens… Does anyone have an idea how much O2 enters a bucket over time? This is my first lager. I'm prepared to be underwhelmed, but sometimes science likes me! If i can get away without a transfer I'd love that.

Cheers!
gotsumbeers

Return to Fermentation