Re: Yeast cakes

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:17 pm

BDawg wrote:How about doing a "session" American Stout? A little more oats than you would normally use, mash on the high side (154?), keep the gravity down to around 1.045 and hop it like an APA but the oats and mash temp will add mouthfeel. I'd boost the chocolate malt, too, to add more complexity to the flavor.

I really like this idea because it's gonna be a 10 gallon batch so making it lower gravity will mean less grain thus less money I have to spend, yes I'm a cheapskate, you should see my DIY system
ScottyB-Brewing

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:35 am

Just took the gravity on the Barley Wine that has the yeast cake I plan to use and it is, get this: 1.010! It started at 1.098.

It finished way lower than I thought it would. It's been in the primary for 4 weeks now. The last time I used WLP099 I only fermented it for 2 weeks with a FG of 1.024 and I had a couple bottle bombs, totally explains it, it wasn't done.

And it tastes grrrrreat too! Kinda dry but not hot or solvently, 11.7% ABV and although I can taste that it has the alcohol the malt is still very present and kinda has a plum/molasses thing going on. No sour or off flavors and definitely no diacetyl or apple shit either.

Just thought I'd share that with you folks
Fermenting: Black IPA, Barley Wine, Cider and Imperial Stout

Current man crush: Warren

Previous man crushes: Nathan, Tasty, JP and Justin

Future man crush: Maybe Jamil or Doc

:bnarmy: SGT ScottyB-Brewing :bnarmy:
ScottyB-Brewing

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:39 pm

ScottyB-Brewing wrote:Just took the gravity on the Barley Wine that has the yeast cake I plan to use and it is, get this: 1.010! It started at 1.098.

It sounds like that yeast may be pretty beat up after kicking ass that hard... I would retire it and brew with fresh yeast.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:05 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
ScottyB-Brewing wrote:Just took the gravity on the Barley Wine that has the yeast cake I plan to use and it is, get this: 1.010! It started at 1.098.

It sounds like that yeast may be pretty beat up after kicking ass that hard... I would retire it and brew with fresh yeast.

+1
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Previous

Return to Fermentation