Yeast cakes

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:25 pm

I have 2 carboys with Barley Wine in'em. It's been 2 weeks and 2 days since I put the wort in them and there is still a thin layer of krausen and the air locks are still bubbling a little.

I used WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale Yeast and I was thinking about using the yeast cakes to do an Imperial Stout.

I plan on brewing the Imperial Stout weekend after next, my question I have for you fine folks is two fold:

1- Do you think it's a good idea to use WLP099 yeast cakes to make an Imperial Stout?

and

2- Is a month too long to leave that Barley Wine on the yeast in the carboys?

I got some awesome advice about making a Dubbel so I figure advice on yeast will probably be good too from you folks.
ScottyB-Brewing

Re: Yeast cakes

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:50 pm

I haven't used the WLP099 since my first few brews, and don't have the best memories of the flavor profile, but that could just be early batch bad problems. With that in mind, I can't comment on using it for an imperial stout.

Reusing a yeast cake that has been used to ferment something as strong as a barley wine might be problematic. Even for a "high gravity" yeast, fermenting something that strong is likely to really injure that yeast. If you try it, please report back.

As for leaving the beer on the yeast for a month, if you handled your pitch well, you shouldn't have any problems with letting it sit for a month, especially with something as strongly flavored as a barleywine.

Good Luck!
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:13 pm

+1 to Adam. I am sure that strain would be suitable for a RIS, but as stated above would not be recommended simply because your yeast could be pooped out from fermenting a high gravity beer like your barleywine. This could lead to mutations in your yeast possibly resulting in under attenuation and an incomplete fermentation. I am not saying this WILL happen, but would you really want to risk all the time and money spent only to make this beer and not have it come out right?

As for leaving a big beer like a barleywine on the primary yeast for 1 mos that is nite a big deal and actually probably recommended. Even 6 weeks is not a big deal in my eyes.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks gang I appreciate the advice. I'll let you guys know what I wind up doing. I might only use one of the yeast cakes and use a different yeast for the other 5 gallons of RIS, it's gonna be a 10 gallon batch
ScottyB-Brewing

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:22 pm

I'd think about doing a dry stout and pitching onto that cake.
Or maybe a mild or a lower gravity brown.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:00 pm

BDawg wrote:I'd think about doing a dry stout and pitching onto that cake.

How bout an American Stout? That's what I really wanna do, it's my favorite style to brew
ScottyB-Brewing

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:18 pm

ScottyB-Brewing wrote:
BDawg wrote:I'd think about doing a dry stout and pitching onto that cake.

How bout an American Stout? That's what I really wanna do, it's my favorite style to brew

That could be great, but I would recommend keeping the gravity of the American Stout below 1.060, and the further below that (within reason) the better.
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:08 pm

How about doing a "session" American Stout? A little more oats than you would normally use, mash on the high side (154?), keep the gravity down to around 1.045 and hop it like an APA but the oats and mash temp will add mouthfeel. I'd boost the chocolate malt, too, to add more complexity to the flavor.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Next

Return to Fermentation