Party pump to Ball lock

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:32 am

I was digging through some stuff and I found the party pump that I used in college. I was wondering if anyone had converted these to use ball lock fittings? I googled around and found a conversion kit, HERE. However it is for a normal keg coupler.

I think it would work if I get the correct fittings I'm just wondering if the party pump can take the pressure from a CO2 tank? I don't think it would be an issue but I'm just wondering.

I know it's for commercial beer but if I got a 1/6th barrel I would want to keep it in my kegerator.

forcera

Re: Party pump to Ball lock

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:23 am

-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:02 pm

I don't really understand what it is you are trying to do here...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:48 am

spiderwrangler wrote:I don't really understand what it is you are trying to do here...

The pump screws off where the black gasket is between it and the body of the coupler. I want to take that off and put a gas post for a ball lock there. The body of the coupler has female threads there so my thinking was I would just need to get the correct male to male fittings. That way if I got a keg of commercial beer I could hook it up to my CO2 line. All of the ball lock conversion kits I have found are for a normal keg coupler, ie not a party pump. My big question is can a party pump take the pressure from a CO2 system.

I'm not so worried about the out side right now. Since it has the picnic tap I can run with that for now.

I haven't used this since right after college, 4-5 years ago, so it's not like this is a high priority for me. I just think it would be cool to have the ability to hook a commercial keg up to my kegerator. However I was at a party recently with a keg of my beer and a keg from a local brewery. It would have been nice to just hook both kegs up to my CO2 system. Hopefully I don't have to explain the benefits of using CO2 over ambient air to you :asshat:s...
forcera

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:17 am

Still not understanding. Sorry -

You show an ambient air piston pump for the purpose of delivering beer using outside air. If you want to use CO2, do not use that "air pump" and just use ball lock fittings and a CO2 tank and regulator. Then use a picnic tap or other tap for the beer out, affixed with Ball Lock fittings for "beer out"

Am I missing something? Sorry.

Save that air based beer pump for the keg draining sessions at the local park and BBQ :)
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:40 am

Kbar wrote:Still not understanding. Sorry -

You show an ambient air piston pump for the purpose of delivering beer using outside air. If you want to use CO2, do not use that "air pump" and just use ball lock fittings and a CO2 tank and regulator. Then use a picnic tap or other tap for the beer out, affixed with Ball Lock fittings for "beer out"

Am I missing something? Sorry.

Save that air based beer pump for the keg draining sessions at the local park and BBQ :)

Let me try again...

The pump unscrews where the red circle is, I just don't have a picture of them unscrewed. I take the air pump off and throw it away. It's gone forget that it is there. I want to attach a ball lock gas post there to replace the air pump. Does that make sense? You are pretty much right on with what I want to do. I'm just wondering if the coupler part can handle the pressure from a CO2 tank.
Last edited by forcera on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
forcera

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:49 am

see. Nice. OK - need to know the threads types, and then see if there is a commercial adapter. Purchase the Ball Lock adapter. See link below for the most plausible thread types.

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

Use the thread type matched to an adapter that will fit into your air pump. For instance, 19/32"-18 Cornelius Ball Lock. Find an adapter that goes from your air pump post, be it male or female, then come out Male 19/32"-18 to thread the ball lock post onto.

Most likely a custom job, but with some Stainless Hex stock or a local shop you should be able to do it. May be more money or time than what you want to do, and I have never heard of anyone converting one of these over. They are more valuable as a portable air pump for non-Co2 based events than in parts.

Does that help?
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:00 am

The keg coupler has female threads where the red circle is so I'll need male to male fittings. The challenge is going to be finding fittings to get everything to fit together. I can't remember off hand how large the fitting would need to be attach to the coupler but it's much larger than to the gas post.

The big question is will the coupler hold up to the pressure. I know it's only a few PSI but I think it would be more than it experiences with hand pumping. I just don't want to get it together and then have it blow up.
forcera

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing