DP info from BN shows...

Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:03 am

Hah! No, this isn't an Adam & Eve topic...

I have heard two brewers (on the Session, I think) interviewed since this summer who have stated something to the effect that the Diastatic Power of US 2-row is now so high that mash temp is basically irrelevant. Does anyone remember what shows/brewers said this?

I think the guys from Flat Tail may have been one, and I kinda think the other was British... but I can't swear to it. I listen to so much BN that it's all jumbled in my head.

Anyone have any pointers before I go digging through 30 hours of shows?

Cheers!
Corporate Piratwolf
Yeast Coast Division
Fermenting: Brett PA, Sour, Rosemary Singel, Lemongrass Singel
Kegged: Old Ale, Calypso Saison, Tart Cherry Farmhouse Braggot, 3711 Pale, Blonde, Imperial Porter
On deck: Session Pale, BN Porter, APA, Citrus Saison, Pale Mild, Blonde
piratwolf

Re: DP info from BN shows...

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:47 am

I don't think they claim that mash temp doesn't matter. When i've heard people interviewed talk about degree of modification/diastatic power they usually say that mash rests lower than saccharification temps don't matter.
DeezMaltz

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:40 pm

I think it was Damian from Summit.
Gimme oysters and beer (and Durian) for dinner every day of the year...
mike____

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm gonna mash at 168 and see what happens
ScottyB-Brewing

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:16 am

DP doesn't change the science of what temps cause which conversions, which enzymes activate, it's simply the power to do the actual conversion. Things below saccharification, such as protein rests are still beneficial, just not for efficiency - you just don't need multiple steps to get good efficiency as you would with less modified malts. Remember mashing is just a continuation of the malting process. Temps still matter, regardless of the DP. No matter how modified the malt, beta-amalyse isn't going to jive with 168. Alpha's not going to like it all that much either.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:00 pm

DeezMaltz, you're right--I phrased my point sloppily. I finally found the bit I recalled (11-17-13, 1:07:50-1:11 or so) where Dave Marliave (sp?) from Flat Tail said that US 2-row has such DP that it's hard to work your mash to produce longer-chain sugars and then spent quite some time discussing adjuncts to help add body and/or starches for non-Sacc fermentations. I didn't intend to suggest that ridiculously high or low mash temps would work, but I can see how it came out that way.

Mike, thanks for the tip on the Summit Brewing show. I'll dive in there next!

Cheers!
piratwolf

Return to Beer Radio