Primary then to Cold conditioning.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:34 am

New to home brewing. My 3rd batch of honey ale has been in primary for 8 days. I plan on leaving it in primary for another 2 weeks, then place it in refrigerator for another week, then bottle it. Any suggestions on this plan?

Robert
RMFSUNSET

Re: Primary then to Cold conditioning.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Welcome-

Sounds like a good plan. Make sure your bottles get up to 70F when you bottle, or you won't carbonate.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:32 pm

If you're bottle conditing it might not be a good idea to cold condition to long. I have cold conditioned for a few days to drop the bulk of the yeast and my bottles still carbonated but they took forever. I think you only need to cold condition if you're kegging or carbonate your bottles then cold condition them after
Totes.McGoats

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:09 pm

If you are concerned about cold crashing before bottling you could always suck up a little yeast from the bottom of the fermenter into your bottling bucket to ensure a timely carbonation. Although this is probably not necessary, but do be sure to allow the cold crashed beer to warm to room temps before bottling to help the yeast with their last task.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:32 am

Could always dose with fresh yeast if you feel it is really necessary at bottling.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation