Transferring sour porter on to cherries question

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:03 am

I'm attempting a sour beer from the recipe below. I've left the beer on the yeast cake for 4 months, and I'm going to transfer it onto some cherries to sit for another 8 months. Right now its not very sour at all. When I transfer should I repitch new yeast immediately(Roeselare)? Or should I let the sour bugs have a chance at for awhile?

10 Gallons
O.G>: 1.71

Mash temp 150(it was supposed to be 154, ButI forgot to change the temp setting on my sculpture and walked away)
19 lbs. Maris Otter
2 lbs. Weyermann Pale Wheat
2 lbs.Chocolate Malt (400 srm)
1 lbs. Black Malt patent
1 lbs. Dark Crystal

2 oz chinook 60 minutes
1 oz chinook 10 minutes

Yeast, no starter
2 packs 3763 Roeselare Ale Blend
2 packs 3278 Belgian Lambic Blend
Last edited by Bad Goat Brewing on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Goat Brewing

Re: Transferring sour porter on to cherries question

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:59 pm

It looks like you have more than enough souring microbes for your beer already. I am assuming you meant that 1.071 was your OG and not your FG. If so what is the gravity sitting at now?
Those commercial strains are pretty tame and will take anywhere from 12-18 mos to fully reach their potential. You might want to consider pitching some bottle dregs from your favorite sour beers to increase the acidity and depth of the final product. This will also help to speed up the souring process too. Pitch them along with the addition of the cherries.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:28 pm

brewinhard wrote:It looks like you have more than enough souring microbes for your beer already. I am assuming you meant that 1.071 was your OG and not your FG. If so what is the gravity sitting at now? .......

Yeah I meant original gravity. "Final" was 1.014(taken at two weeks)

brewinhard wrote:Those commercial strains are pretty tame and will take anywhere from 12-18 mos to fully reach their potential. You might want to consider pitching some bottle dregs from your favorite sour beers to increase the acidity and depth of the final product. This will also help to speed up the souring process too. Pitch them along with the addition of the cherries.

Sounds like a great reason to drink a nice sour when i tranfer! :aaron

So do you think i should put some fresh yeast in with the cherries?
Bad Goat Brewing

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Dregs can be good... really good. But I'd grow them up first. Depending on what you get a small starter in the 1.010-1.020 area & 50-500mL (largely dependent on what you're using) & another step up in volume would be a good idea for faster results.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Adding more yeast is not necessary as you want the bacteria and brett in your sour blends to ferment the cherries and continue to funk up your porter.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:03 pm

brewinhard wrote:Adding more yeast is not necessary as you want the bacteria and brett in your sour blends to ferment the cherries and continue to funk up your porter.

Thanks. I was just worried it might get too sour, turn to vinegar, or become otherwise undrinkable. It would be a real bummer after waiting a year.

I’ve made sour beers before, but I’ve never added sugar to 4+ old beer. I didn’t know if any yeast would be left alive.
Bad Goat Brewing

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Bad Goat Brewing wrote:
brewinhard wrote:Adding more yeast is not necessary as you want the bacteria and brett in your sour blends to ferment the cherries and continue to funk up your porter.

Thanks. I was just worried it might get too sour, turn to vinegar, or become otherwise undrinkable. It would be a real bummer after waiting a year.

I’ve made sour beers before, but I’ve never added sugar to 4+ old beer. I didn’t know if any yeast would be left alive.

Keep the O2 out & you won't have vinegar problems. Too sour? What is this you speak of? I don't understand the question. (Pansy's may want to split a gallon off for back blending :wink: )
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Ozwald wrote:
Bad Goat Brewing wrote:

Keep the O2 out & you won't have vinegar problems. Too sour? What is this you speak of? I don't understand the question. (Pansy's may want to split a gallon off for back blending :wink: )

ha ha. I always purge the carboy with co2 before transferring.
Bad Goat Brewing

Return to Fermentation