Kentucky in General

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:44 am

Hey all

Me and a coworker are planning a trip to kentucky. Both to learn about bourbon, and barrel aging from some of the local breweries that do it there, and the bourbon makers themselves. We are also hoping to maybe score a few barrels to bring back to our brewery.

Any suggestions on who makes the good beer, bourbon, who to talk to, bars to hit, bbq to eat etc...

We're driving down from Toronto, and Kentucky isnt a huge state so an extra hour or whatever either way doesnt matter much.

Thanks!
KFBass

Re: Kentucky in General

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:25 am

As far as breweries that make good use of barrels, check out Against the Grain in downtown Louisville. Fantastic stuff. They are also known for their smoke beers. Good BBQ there as well.

As far as good distilleries, you'll get many different opinions. But, there are quite a few distilleries within an hour or two drive of Louisville, especially in Bardstown, which is only about 30 min from Louisville. There are also a number of wineries in the area.

Bars in Louisville. Sergio's world of beers apparently has a crazy big selection of beers, never been myself. The Holy Grale always has some good stuff on tap. If you're looking to sample some regional stuff, the Liquor Barn on Westport Rd has a good selection (20+ taps).
sharpe1987

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:55 am

awesome stuff thanks!

I've been in contact with ATG and they've been super helpful as well. Looking forward to checking their place out.

Likewise on some of the distilleries, everyone has been pretty open. Four Roses in particular.

Thanks again!
KFBass

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:29 pm

+1 on Against the Grain. Try the pork belly on a stick. So good you'll wanna eat the stick!

While in Louisville I highly recommend New Albanian Brewing Company Pizzaria and brew house in New Albany, just across the river. Great pizza and beer

The Old Talbot Tavern in Bardstown is one of my favorite stops. I always order the Hot Brown.

I've only done the Makers Mark tour. I can't get SGTSatan and his brother to drop their lives for a week and hit all the Kentucky distilleries. :cry:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:44 pm

sharpe1987 wrote:Bars in Louisville. Sergio's world of beers apparently has a crazy big selection of beers, never been myself.

I can vouch for Sergio's... It's a HOLE in the wall, but their selection is bar none. I had a great time there.
When I was there last August, I had a pour of the original DFH 120 (~21% stuff). While it was obviously old, it was still a damned good beer. The rare stuff can get a bit spendy, but it's all good! I wanna say the DFH was ~$20-25 for a 4oz pour. Everything else is within reason.
http://sergiosworldbeers.com/
I'm sick of chasing my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
tlael

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks again everyone

I wil certainly check out the pizzeria. We're only there for 3 days so the itinerary is kinda set, but I these are great suggestions.

Any advice on music in the area? Turns out a local magazine may get us to do a write up on the trip and I want to take it all in.
KFBass

Return to Travel