Re: Homebrewing Disasters

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:02 am

Not really a disaster, but a word of warning :) I was using an immersion chiller. I had it boiling to sanitize when I turned the cold water on the boiling water inside the chiller shot out and burned my face and head. It was not fun.
NervousDad

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:30 am

NervousDad wrote:Not really a disaster, but a word of warning :) I was using an immersion chiller. I had it boiling to sanitize when I turned the cold water on the boiling water inside the chiller shot out and burned my face and head. It was not fun.

It's worse when the top of the kettle is at crotch height. Let's just say I learned to put tubing on the ends of the chiller before putting it in the kettle pretty quickly.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:26 am

Ouch :D
NervousDad

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:55 pm

I had one this weekend. I have a Denny Conn mash tun, with a copper manifold. Somehow, the manifold slipped of and when I sparged I got grain. I was able to save the day by using a strainer on the kettle in which I used to brew on the stove. Took an extra half hour. But so far everything looks good.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:08 pm

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:I had one this weekend. I have a Denny Conn mash tun, with a copper manifold. Somehow, the manifold slipped of and when I sparged I got grain. I was able to save the day by using a strainer on the kettle in which I used to brew on the stove. Took an extra half hour. But so far everything looks good.

That sounds more like bragging than a real disaster.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:45 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:I had one this weekend. I have a Denny Conn mash tun, with a copper manifold. Somehow, the manifold slipped of and when I sparged I got grain. I was able to save the day by using a strainer on the kettle in which I used to brew on the stove. Took an extra half hour. But so far everything looks good.

That sounds more like bragging than a real disaster.

:mrgreen:
I am kinda proud of it! But there was a lot of swearing before I came up with a solution.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to General Beer Related