HELP!!!!!

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:48 am

I have a Sudsbuddy Beer Keg Cooler that isn't getting cold. There is some frost build up around the fans inside the unit. Does anyone know how I can remedy this problem? It seems the company that makes the cooler is out of business.
Thanks.
dkline72

Re: HELP!!!!!

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Best I can suggest is to do some maintenance, unplug it, and let the ice around the fan melt. Don't use a chisel/screw driver for fear of puncturing the side wall/cooling coils. Once you clear up the fans, then you may have a fully functional unit.
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:34 pm

Yes, and pick up some Damp-Rid so that you can keep the humidity and hence frost levels down.
Damp-Rid is awesome for that.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:19 am

In addition to the Damp-Rid, you need to keep the condenser coils clean. Once you get it defrosted, you need to brush out all the accumulated dust bunnies and whatever from the coils. You might be surprised at just how much dirt will build up. You may need to use compressed air (or CO2) to blow out the dirt out of the fins. Alternatively you may be able to hook up the vacuum cleaner hose to the output to blow the dirt out. I have five freezers and coolers at work that I have this problem with every couple months. Five minutes with each one, blowing out with CO2 works almost every time. If you let this go too long, you will not only lose cool but you can burn out your compressor motor.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 am

EagleDude wrote:Don't use a chisel/screw driver for fear of puncturing the side wall/cooling coils.

Most bestest advice ever!!!! I completely killed a kegerator by accidentally punching a hole in the cooling coil removing ice with a chisel. Very expensive mistake. Unplug and let it melt. I understand a hair dryer is a big help also and pretty safe.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing