Homebrewing Disasters

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:51 pm

Hey kids,

I need some brewing disasters from you all - real horror show like. Did that boil over spill into your shoes? Your tank explode and now you are typing with help from a nurse? Email feedback at the brewingnetwork.com with your horror story and have it aired on The Session!
Kick Rocks,
MajorJipp
JP
Global Moderator

Re: Homebrewing Disasters

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:46 pm

I don't think anyone can top Gordon Strong blowing himself up trying to clean a wooden barrel.
hoodie

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm

where are all the carbot masscre survivors?????
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '12]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, olny the frist and lsat ltteers need be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is becsuae the hamun mnid deos not raed evrey lteter by iteslf, but the wrod as a whloe.
mordantly

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:23 am

I haven't had any serious disasters like Gordon, but I did forget to tighten my QD on my keg once. After a couple weeks of lagering, I open up my kegerator to find about 5 gallons of Octoberfest floating around in the bottom of the chest freezer. Add about another gallon of tears and it was quite a mess to cleanup :cry:
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:51 am

hoodie wrote:I don't think anyone can top Gordon Strong blowing himself up trying to clean a wooden barrel.

Please don't try...
gordonstrong

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:14 pm

gordonstrong wrote:
hoodie wrote:I don't think anyone can top Gordon Strong blowing himself up trying to clean a wooden barrel.

Please don't try...

Oh, come on Gordon, let them have their fun! :wink:
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:01 am

About this time in 1972 I had been making drinkable wines for a year or so. I decided that making beer shouldn't be all that hard. Got me some Blue Ribbon Malt down at the grocery store (Lord knows how long that had been on the shelf) and some Red Star bread yeast (just like the directions on the can of malt said). I had some dry, brown powdery stuff that the guy at the wine supply shop gave me several months before. Supposedly they were hops. Anyway, I boiled the malt, water and hops for a good five minutes or so and then let it cool overnight before pouring into the carboy. I washed the carboy really good so it wouldn't contaminate anything (sanitizer? what's that?). I added the yeast and fermentation went just fine. After a week I bottled it. Did I mention that I knew absolutely nothing about brewing beer at that point other than what I read on the side of the can of malt?

Anyway, after "conditioning" for a week or so, I chilled down a bottle or two so I could taste the fruits of my labor. I opened the first bottle and a brown geyser spewed forth all over the ceiling and down three walls! :eek I even had beer inside the ceiling light fixture! I opened the next bottle outside pointed in a safe direction. Same geyser, but nothing soaked. I did work up the nerve to give the little in the bottle a taste in the dim hope that it was just over-carbonated. No such luck. Tasted like it had been brewed in once of JP's dirty sneakers (you know, one of the Pacheco ones.).

That was it for me for beer brewing for the next 30 years. With the encouragement of Denny Conn, Dan Listerman, Pat Babcock and others over on Homebrewdigest.com, I finally got back into brewing again in 2002. Most of my beers have been pretty good ever since. None anywhere close to that first disaster.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:51 am

Bump - email your stories to feedback @ thebrewingnetwork . com!
Kick Rocks,
MajorJipp
JP
Global Moderator

Next

Return to General Beer Related