Re: Converting to Natural Gas

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:26 am

i buildt my brewery indoors using NG and I'm a plumbing and heating guy.

1) what is your gas pressure?
2) how many BTU's can your meter handle? Go out and look at what is says on the data plate.
3) how many BTU is your burner.
4) how far are you from your gas meter and how many btu's are you using now in your house.

todd
I want to be santa.... that way I will know where all the naughty girls live
toddster

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:39 pm

I tried many things to convert my LP burner to NG and all I got was soot. I bought a 23 tip NG burner and it solved the problem.

Since I had a 1/2" line it was only enough to run one1 burner so I made my MT and HLT electric.
Monster Mash

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:55 pm

I've got a NG line on my back patio and thought I'd try out converting one of the bayou classic burners. I do get a little soot but there's plenty of heat and can bring 3 gallons to a boil in about 20 mins.

I saw a lot of questions on this subject when I was researching it but no real how to's. To make it easier for anyone else I figured I'd put all the required mats in one place.

[URL REMOVED]

My home's gas line had a 1/2" female connection which I believe is pretty standard so I included the reducer with the rest of the stuff. You may not need that part. You might also be able to get away without the Needle Valve if your line already has an adjustable valve on it.

The setup is pretty simple. just make the connections in this order and tape any with threads.
Gas Line --> Reducer --> Needle Valve --> 10ft Hose --> drilled orifice (included with burner) --> burner

The only special step was drilling the orifice. The orifice is the little brass adapter that comes with the burner and that just needed to be drilled out to 1/8". Which was easy enough to do with a drill and a pair of Vice Grips. Just start with a small drill bit and work your way up. PS. wear eye protection when doing this!

good luck! :drink
mega386

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:35 pm

mega386 wrote:To make it easier for anyone else I figured I'd put all the required mats in one place.

Which was a link to your store, I think? That's why your link was not approved. The content of the rest of your message was fine.
code
codewritinfool

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Regulator on the NG out of your home?? Are you sure you need one?
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:12 am

Kbar wrote:Regulator on the NG out of your home?? Are you sure you need one?

You referring to the needle valve? I don't know about you, but I like to have some flame adjustment. My setup is gas line > ball valve (master on/off, never trust a needle for that) > hose > needle > NG oriface > burner.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:57 pm

No, needle valve is the variable orifice the compensator (regulator) controls the pressure drop across. With home NG gas lines, you are at 0.5 to 2 Psi. You should not need the regulator, just the needle valve and a larger orifice. The large gas main outside of your house is the regulator.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures