Dry hop accident

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:13 pm

Howdy.

I put hops in a nylon bag and threw them in the keg with the beer. Unfortunately, I used pellet hops instead of leaf hops, and now my beer is full of green floaties that slipped through the mesh.

Any advice on how to salvage this? The beer is fully carbonated, so racking it could be a real foamy mess.

Thanks!
Kincaide

Re: Dry hop accident

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:40 pm

My first thought is gelatin. Typically I add it when I fill the keg but I'm carbonating it immediately - never tried adding it to one that's fully carbonated, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Boil 300mL of water and allow it to cool to 150. Whisk in the gelatin powder & let it sit for 10 minutes (known as 'blooming'). Pour that into a purged, sanitized keg, seal it & transfer your beer through a jumper (2 liquid connectors on a short piece of tubing). Put it back in the kegerator for a couple two tree days, pour off a pint or so & you should be in business.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:25 am

Another thought I had this morning was to run it through a randall with some cones which would do an excellent job of filtering out the particles as well as boosting the hops. That or just drink it :wink:
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:58 am

Here is my technique for getting bits out of my dry hopped beers.

Get a fine mesh bag from your brewshop, sanitize it and some sort of non porous weight (I use 3-4 spoons), drop the weights in the bag and tie it to the tubing end of your autosiphon (with sanitized hands, of course). As you siphon, the bag at the end of hte tubing will act as a rough filter for the hop material, catching it before it enters your bottling bucket. I also take the tip off my autosiphon to keep it from plugging, and just stay well away from the sediment at the bottom. If the draw end plugs with hop bits, the siphon will suck air in past the seal between the inner and outer tubes, so you really don't want it plugging there. The bag provides plenty of surface area for the beer to flow out while still capturing any stray hops. Just make sure you do a very through job of making sure everything is clean and sanitary. The bags can take high temp, so you could even boil it and your weights and let them cool in the pot with the lid on until you need them.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:15 am

I could see that being a great technique for an uncarbed beer & also a great preventative step. I think he'd have some problems with this particular batch though since it's already carbed.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:20 am

Ozwald wrote:I could see that being a great technique for an uncarbed beer & also a great preventative step. I think he'd have some problems with this particular batch though since it's already carbed.

Fuck... I stopped reading carefully before I got to that part of his post.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:40 am

I do that sometimes early in the morning when I'm still waking up. And I forget to respond to txt msgs too. I'll try to remember today. Been busy.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:04 am

I always use gelatin after my beer is carbed up and I've never had a problem. This has been my routine for a while. I Keg beer & carbonate then taste it, if it needs more hop character I add hops to sanitized mesh bag (hang with floss). The Next day I add my gelatin my beer is crystal clear after a few days.

I alway use pellet hops, but they never go into my beer..
NervousDad

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing