Clogged dip tube. HELP!

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:03 pm

So when I was transferring my beer from my carboy into the keg, I also transferred some hop matter. I had Dry Hoppped with hop flowers and I didn't bag, just threw them in.

After I force carbed the beer, I began to bottle a few days later using a Blichmann beer gun and it was fine until it stopped dispensing beer. There is still beer in the keg, but I want to get that stuff out and into bottles. I didn't know what to do, still don't. I am thinking of reversing my post connections. "In" post switch with "out" post to backflush with CO2 to unclog the dip tube. Does that sound like a good idea? Or what other things can I try to do to unclog the dip tube so I can get my beer out of keg.

Thanks in advance

Riggs :jnj
Hello, Who's this?!
RiggsSpiltMyDrank

Re: Clogged dip tube. HELP!

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:11 pm

That's what I'd do.

Be careful though. That's also a good technique to blow off CO2 in an over-carbed beer (gas through the out, vent, repeat a half dozen times). A quick burst should be fine, but just warning not to over do it or you could drop your carbonation level pretty quickly.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Release the pressure valve, take the "beer out" post off. Pull out the dip tube and clear it out. Check the post and the poppet - it is probably where the clog is and clear it out too. Sanitize the parts you fooled with. Put it all back together.

MAKE SURE THERE IS NO CO2 PRESSURE LEFT IN THE KEG BEFORE YOU TAKE OFF THE OUT POST.
troybinso

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:45 pm

I agree with what troybinso said. The clog is probably all the way up into the poppet valve. you have to release ALL pressure from the keg, remove the outpost, and clean everything all up. I would also add that if its possible to add a (sanitized) plain stainless steel scrubby to the bottom of the long beer post, it will prevent more hop material from clogging it up again. Either that or crimp on one of these:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Corny-Keg-Di ... _2091.html
(it's essentially some stainless steel braided hose that you crimp closed on one end and slip over your dip tube like a rubber. You can probably make a bunch of them yourself by chopping up braided hose cover like you would when making a braided hose for your mash tun.)

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:28 pm

BDawg wrote:I agree with what troybinso said. The clog is probably all the way up into the poppet valve. you have to release ALL pressure from the keg, remove the outpost, and clean everything all up. I would also add that if its possible to add a (sanitized) plain stainless steel scrubby to the bottom of the long beer post, it will prevent more hop material from clogging it up again. Either that or crimp on one of these:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Corny-Keg-Di ... _2091.html
(it's essentially some stainless steel braided hose that you crimp closed on one end and slip over your dip tube like a rubber. You can probably make a bunch of them yourself by chopping up braided hose cover like you would when making a braided hose for your mash tun.)

HTH-

you could also crank up the co2 and try to flush out the hop block.

love

g
"in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"....a person not quite as plastered as the rest (not a quote by RSM grod of the BN Army)
grod

Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:30 pm

CO2 flushing isn't a fix if shit is gunking up the poppet valve.
It has to be manually removed.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:53 pm

BDawg wrote:CO2 flushing isn't a fix if shit is gunking up the poppet valve.

In my experience it'll at least get you through the keg... and teach you to be more careful about keeping that shit out in the first place :wink:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:20 pm

BDawg wrote:CO2 flushing isn't a fix if shit is gunking up the poppet valve.

Thanks guys! I will remove my dip tube and clear out the poppet. Last time I let the flowers sit in the beer without bagging! Lesson learned!
Hello, Who's this?!
RiggsSpiltMyDrank

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing