Painting Black Gas Iron Pipe

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:20 am

I am currently assembling my gas manifold for my brew stand and was wondering if anyone out there knew of a way to paint the black gas iron pipe.

My brewstand is nicely powder coated black and I would like to paint this gas pipe to match.

Any ideas?

Kevin
kevBrew

Re: Painting Black Gas Iron Pipe

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:05 pm

I used some acetone or mineral spirits (don't remember which) on a rag to wipe off the oil and get the surface of the pipe as clean as possible. I then hit it with some Rust-Oleum high temp spray paint and its been fine for almost five years. I probably need to hit a few spots again now, but it looks good still.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:53 pm

Use stainless tube and flare for SAE45........ :)

Sorry, I have a stainless fetish.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:55 am

Was the manifold assembled when you cleaned and painted? I was told that I need to leave the oil coating on the threads of the pipe.
kevBrew

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:34 am

Kbar wrote:Sorry, I have a stainless fetish.

Me too! I just spent a ridiculous amount of scratch swapping out my old polysulfone QD's to the stainless ones. They only work slightly better, but they look so badass. Worth every penny. I just have more that 2x the money in QD's now than I did in my entire first real 3 vessel 10 gallon system. Mmmm... shiny... :D

That being said, I'd definitely assemble then clean/paint. Take that with a grain of salt, I only have a burner on my kettle, the HLT & MLT are both electric.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Brewing Sculptures