Carbing only a few bottles

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:43 pm

I have an IPA that is pretty much done, fg 1.008. There is a local comp on April 13th, entries have to be submited by march 30th. My plan is to bottle only 3 and let the rest of the batch sit on the hops and yeast for another week. I know its a green beer, it may not carbonate by the time its judged, but how much sugar would you add PER bottle and if its kept warm?
My water tastes like shit, so I flavor it with malt, hops and yeast..Yum!
--Me
fluffhead

Re: Carbing only a few bottles

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 am

you can save yourself the hassle of weighing sugar, boiling and cooling and dosing each bottle by just buying a bag of the cooper's carb drops. Just add one per bottle, and save the rest for next time...

http://morebeer.com/products/carbonation-drops.html

good luck,
East Side Brewer

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:24 am

+1 on the carb tabs. I always keep those around, just in case. Make sure you read the directions, some brands require 2 or 3 tabs per bottle. It's ok to err on the high side as I find that at recommended dosage, carbonation is still a touch low (like 2.3 instead of 2.5). It'll help you get closer to style, plus if you know when they're being judged, they won't have time to over-carb. Good luck in the comp.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:49 pm

This whole thing is a last minute shit show is due to piss poor planing on my behaf, but..LHBS didnt have carb drops today. With a clearer head tonight, I read that Palmer said 1tsp per 12oz, but did not recomend it. Without much of a choice, I ended up doseing 1tsp into stainless mini dipping cups, adding a dropper full of water, heating to a boil, and then adding that each bottle. I guess time will tell..
fluffhead

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:34 am

It happens & best of luck. That's exactly why I mentioned I keep some on hand at all times. You just never know.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing