Re: Cloudy Beer Out of Keg

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:22 pm

The first batch was a mild brown. Second, in there now, is american red.

Doesn't go away after sitting out to warm.
3stall

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Appreciate all the feedback but I'm still hung up on this cloudy issue. The beer taste fine so I shouldn't worry too much about it although when I bottled beer I never had the issue.

Thinking about whats changed in my process that could cause it. Three things have changed recently.
1. I've used yeast starter on the last two batches.
2. Last two batches have went into kegs. oving forward.
3. The last two batches have blown the airlock and I've had to replace them mid-ferment. I've put together a blow off system to replace airlock for future batches.

Not sure if one of these is causing the problem but it's all I can come up with.

My satisfaction level drinking the beer is much higher when visually it looks greats in the glass. To be honest... it's driving me nuts everytime I draw one.
3stall

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:24 pm

3stall wrote:Appreciate all the feedback but I'm still hung up on this cloudy issue. The beer taste fine so I shouldn't worry too much about it although when I bottled beer I never had the issue.

Spider hinted at this a little earlier. You mentioned the beer looked clear before kegging it. If you racked it from room temp and moved it into a cold environment to dispense from, then chances are you are experiencing chill haze. Pour yourself a glass of said beer, let it sit out at room temp and see if it eventually clears up. If the cloudy issue goes away at room temp then you have chill haze.
Afterlab

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:14 pm

3stall wrote:Appreciate all the feedback but I'm still hung up on this cloudy issue. The beer taste fine so I shouldn't worry too much about it although when I bottled beer I never had the issue.

Thinking about whats changed in my process that could cause it. Three things have changed recently.
1. I've used yeast starter on the last two batches.
2. Last two batches have went into kegs. oving forward.
3. The last two batches have blown the airlock and I've had to replace them mid-ferment. I've put together a blow off system to replace airlock for future batches.

Not sure if one of these is causing the problem but it's all I can come up with.

My satisfaction level drinking the beer is much higher when visually it looks greats in the glass. To be honest... it's driving me nuts everytime I draw one.

Please, beer lord, forgive me for what I'm about to write because I hate to get technical when it comes to homebrew. Personally, if it tastes good, I really like Spider's idea. But here goes...your clarity issues could possibly stem from polyphenols, which are haze forming proteins, or yeast left in suspension. You can crash both of those out using the clarifying agent of your choice and near freezing temperatures for a few days. I know you're using extract so it's possible that you may be steeping your specialty grains too hot, which would likely have the same effect as sparging too hot. Also, did you accidently ferment too warm? I find that beers that ferment too warm will also end up cloudy. The reason for this is warm fermentation will build up your acetaldehyde levels and have an impact on haze formation in beer through reacting with catechin and pre-formed complex phenolics There can be a 6-10 degree difference in ambient temperature and the temperature of your fermenting wort so look out for that. Blowing the airlock is not a problem because if there's enough CO2 to blow out an airlock, there's enough CO2 to ward off any invaders. However, if you do have a final gravity in the 1.004 range, you could have an infection. Also, did you dry hop? That can cause haze, but I find that if you cool enough, even dry hop haze will disappear. I hope some of these suggestions help, but if I had to place a bet on what happened it would be too warm of fermentation; just because it's such a common problem.
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:20 am

I'll pay special attention to steeping grains and fermentation next brewday.

Thanks. great feedback.
3stall

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:03 pm

3stall wrote:I'll pay special attention to steeping grains and fermentation next brewday.

Thanks. great feedback.

Awesome. Good luck. I'm sure it'll go we'll. brewing is easy because nature wants you to have good beer.
BeaverBarber

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:40 pm

3stall wrote:My satisfaction level drinking the beer is much higher when visually it looks greats in the glass. To be honest... it's driving me nuts everytime I draw one.

Now you that you have had the technical, I will give you some Zen! :nutters:

Beer is like a woman,
... some are lights on types, some are lights off types, but they still taste the same either way! :pop

Lights off when you draw one, and destroy your beer by The Ingestion Recycling Process!
Keep on brewing!

:drink
Gary
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing