Cloudy Beer Out of Keg

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Two of my last batches of have been very clear prior to kegging. Using 10 PSI to carbonate both have come out of keg cloudy and stayed cloudy.

Am I doing something wrong. Using Wirlock tablets supplied in kits for last 5 min of boil.
3stall

Re: Cloudy Beer Out of Keg

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:16 pm

3stall wrote:Two of my last batches of have been very clear prior to kegging. Using 10 PSI to carbonate both have come out of keg cloudy and stayed cloudy.

Am I doing something wrong. Using Wirlock tablets supplied in kits for last 5 min of boil.

Permanent haze can be a pH problem with your mash or you're sparging too hot or too long...blah, blah, blah. Luckily, nature generally wants us to have great beer...so you probably just have chill haze. Does the beer taste good?
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:07 am

Beer does taste good. I'm using extract kits and boiling for 60 minutes.

Would there be any benefit to using irish moss over Whirfloc tablet?
3stall

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:24 am

Irish moss & whirfloc are pretty much the same, both do a good job at coagulating protein.

I've had the same thing happen to a couple of my beers, but what I've noticed is that I keep going back to the kegerator over and over for the same beer. Don't let minor imperfections get to you. Now, if your beer gets cloudier over time or the flavour starts to turn sour, you may want to start looking at sanitation.
On Tap: Jamil's Oktoberfest, JP's Oatmeal Stout, Organic Apfelwein, English Brown Ale
Carbing:
Churning: House Citra APA
sexpanther

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:54 am

Gonna ask a question: is the cloudy beer an IPA with dry hops? I get cloudy IPA when I use a lot of hops.

You could try adding gelatin to your fermenter a couple of days before kegging...
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:39 am

I dump 1/2 fluid oz. liquid isinglass into a corny, if i have a cloudy condition......works in chilled beers & mixes in easily. Trim an inch off the dip tube, so you don't pick up finings off the bottom of a corny. Since a corny is tall and skinny, it takes a little longer to settle than it would if it was in a carboy. If you can keep it stationary, it should shine in a week.
:jnj
Gary
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:33 am

Regarding the possibility of chill haze, does it go away if you let some sit out and warm up? If so, and the beer tastes fine, go buy yourself one of these and don't worry about it!

Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:17 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Regarding the possibility of chill haze, does it go away if you let some sit out and warm up? If so, and the beer tastes fine, go buy yourself one of these and don't worry about it!

Spider is right on with this! Only worry about it if it is going to competition in a catagory where clarity is imperative. If you are the kind of person who likes to dick with the entire brew process, welcome to the club, and add your clarifier! You may need to turn a cloud into a medal winner someday! Drink it and enjoy! Your friends know you didn't wring the brewhouse mop into your fermenters.

Yes, I have tasted homebrew with mop characteristics. It is one of my reserved for the worst descriptors. ATTN: BJCP Judges!

:jnj
Gary
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing