Re: Dry hopping in the keg..

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:53 am

I only dryhop with pellets. I just throw them in the keg. No hopsacks, screens, tea balls :? , or SS sponges. After 5-7 days, I gently lay the keg on its side, gas-in post down and slightly elevated at the bottom. Then I push the beer out the gas-in post to another keg by apply CO2 to the beer-out connector. Works for me but I don't mind the extra keg because I have a keg cleaner.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Nice. That's the plan then. Thinking 10g Chinook 10g Cascade whole hops into 3-gallons of IPA.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks BeerPal...I cannot believe it keeps pellets out.....
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:00 pm

I slide a Braided Stainless Steel Water Supply line on the dip tube prior to filling the keg and dryhopping.
It works for pellets, whole hops, fruit, etc..
dunleav1

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:23 pm

TastyMcD wrote:I only dryhop with pellets. I just throw them in the keg. No hopsacks, screens, tea balls :? , or SS sponges. After 5-7 days, I gently lay the keg on its side, gas-in post down and slightly elevated at the bottom. Then I push the beer out the gas-in post to another keg by apply CO2 to the beer-out connector. Works for me but I don't mind the extra keg because I have a keg cleaner.

Tasty

Digging up an old thread here....

Tasty -- I'm assuming when you do this you have your filter between the two kegs? If so, do you end up with much hop matter in the filter at the end? I'm wondering if this would work as a racking method without a filter?
mb2696

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:04 am

mb2696 wrote:I'm wondering if this would work as a racking method without a filter?

I dry-hop with pellets in carboys, buckets and BetterBottles all the time, and rack via a racking cane and get very little residual in my kegs. Anything that transfers, typically settles out and is gone in the first few pints.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:39 am

So the surescreen does not clog when using pellet hops directly in the keg? The beer will still be able to flow out the keg through the surescreen and beer out dip tube?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:48 am

brewinhard wrote:So the surescreen does not clog when using pellet hops directly in the keg? The beer will still be able to flow out the keg through the surescreen and beer out dip tube?

I use a fine mesh nylon bag for pellet hops. No worries of blockages. Most homebrew shops have them.
Good luck! :aaron
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing