Will the flavor clean up in the bottle?

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 am

My IPA has only been bottle conditioning for 9 days (which I know it need more time). I cracked one open last night and had good carbonation and head but the flavor was extremely astringent. (I think it is astringency. My pallet isn't honed in and I can't tell if it is astringency or just "green apple" flavors yet) My question is, if it is astringency, will it clear up over the course of a few weeks/months? Or is it a lost? This was my first brew which I did a partial boil with and an extract kit from Brewers Best. I made the mistake and left the lid on the boil for the first 30 minutes and was informed to not do that so it was off the second 30 minutes. I fermented for 5 days @ 68*F and racked into a glass carboy to dry hop and let it set for two weeks (in the dark and also at 68*F) The last 2 days of the secondary placed the carboy in ice water and broke it down to 56*F to clean it up before bottling. OG-1.060, FG-1.015
tacosauce7541

Re: Will the flavor clean up in the bottle?

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:58 pm

I think you moved it off the yeast cake a bit quickly. That and leaving the lid on could be leading to the off flavors. Giving it time might help though, it will definitely change flavor over time.
mtyquinn

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:10 pm

+1

Astringency = a feeling in the mouth like you get when drinking strong tea. It is powdery and mouth puckering.
DMS is the off flavor and aroma of cooked corn or cabbage. This is what happens when you cover the boil, but it sounds like this is not your problem.
Green Apple is from acetaldehyde and it is associated with weak yeast or pulling the beer off the yeast too quickly.

Here is a flash card deck from the BJCP that can help you troubleshoot your beers:

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/OffFlavorFlash.pdf

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:48 pm

BDawg wrote:+1

Astringency = a feeling in the mouth like you get when drinking strong tea. It is powdery and mouth puckering.
DMS is the off flavor and aroma of cooked corn or cabbage. This is what happens when you cover the boil, but it sounds like this is not your problem.
Green Apple is from acetaldehyde and it is associated with weak yeast or pulling the beer off the yeast too quickly.

Here is a flash card deck from the BJCP that can help you troubleshoot your beers:

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/OffFlavorFlash.pdf

HTH-

I think I did too. I made the mistake of listening to brain. I was worried that if I racked into secondary too late, the yeast would be dead and they wouldn't put give my beer a CO2 blanket and I would be fucked. I guess you could say that I am acting like an over bearing parent that means well but creates a psychopathic child that likes to torture animals and lick the ass holes of deed hookers. :toi Hopefully a little time locked down in its cell (or the bottles), it will clean up it's act and be the respectable, well rounded man that I pictured it to be. Thank you for the flash cards! They will be a huge help
tacosauce7541

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing