Re: Soured Belgian Ale

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:49 am

Thanks everyone. You all had very useful information and I can see a few areas where I need to be careful.

Wife's having a baby in a week so the brewing is on hold for about a month. Wanted to have this belgian ale for Octoberfest and Thanksgiving... :(
RockyB

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:15 am

RockyB wrote:Wife's having a baby in a week so the brewing is on hold for about a month. Wanted to have this belgian ale for Octoberfest and Thanksgiving... :(

And you think you're gonna have time in a month once the baby arrives?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:18 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
RockyB wrote:Wife's having a baby in a week so the brewing is on hold for about a month. Wanted to have this belgian ale for Octoberfest and Thanksgiving... :(

And you think you're gonna have time in a month once the baby arrives?

A month should be enough time to teach the rugrat how to use the capper, wouldn't you think?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:19 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
RockyB wrote:Wish I had tasted it first but did not. It smelled great one minute and about 1/2 hour later it did not.

Fermentation had to be actively managed because it was so intense. The airlock popped off twice and hit the ceiling (can see where). So I had to try to sanitize the mouth of the carboy with a paper towel soaked in starsan and replace the te-sanitized airlock. The airlock dried up and had to be refilled too. During these things I suppose I could have contaminated it. Airlock popped off and only when I went to check on (several times a day) it did I discover the exposed carboy mouth.

That's likely where you picked it up. Any infection had to happen during the ferment, the bucket wouldn't be enough time to cause the off flavors you mentioned to develop. While over priming can cause gushers, you noted it's sour, so sounds like you indeed have an infection. My guess is that it was infected when the airlock popped. Try using a blow off tube (1" dia tube) during the initial vigorous ferment, then replacing with airlock once it's slowed. I'm thinking the infection was there, but may not have been initially noticeable in terms of aroma until it had been agitated going into the bottling bucket, perhaps warmed a bit too...

Ferm-cap is phenomenal for this very issue. Keeps the krausen from bustin' out of the carboy and causing a mess!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing