Re: Top of the Trellis

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:50 pm

EL TIZZO wrote:
gwk453 wrote:I have about 80 hop plants in about 120 linear feet. It is still easy to use Miracle-Gro to fertilize every two weeks. It provide more than enough nutrients for the growth of many bines. The later bines do eventually catch up to the earlier bines. The growth below ground of the roots is massive and is enhanced with the liquid fertilizer. The strong rhizome growth allows you not to have to purchase more root stock when you want to expand your garden or share with a friend. I rototill granular Sevin insecticide in the rows and also need to use snail and slug bait II around the plants too. Most places I have read consider 18 ft high terellis standard.

Whoa!...thats a large scale operation...who picks all that?...

It a one man operation (a glutten for punishment) The currious stop and ask me what kind of beans I am growing!
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:45 pm

So does it have to be up?? I am growing mine up about 2 feet and then I am making them grow sideways....so far they haven't complained and are about 3-4 feet long
Stinkfist

Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:46 pm

These pics were taken a week ago.
My 5yo Cascade are over the top of my trellis (13').

And my 2nd year CTZ is getting there.

Here's my thread from last year, since then, I built the other trellis that's next to my brewery. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24894&hilit=triple+trellis

And, FWIW I never cut my bines, unless the weedeater accidently chops one. As far as I can tell, the only reason the farms do is easier harvesting for their machines.
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Wow Triple nice digs ... Man... classy way to relax and enjoy a cold or hot one ! Enjoy!
German Bock
gwk453

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Stinkfist wrote:So does it have to be up?? I am growing mine up about 2 feet and then I am making them grow sideways....so far they haven't complained and are about 3-4 feet long

As long as they keep winding clockwise they will go lateral and you will need to help them wrap. 2nd and 3rd year hop growth is like hops on steroids. Keep hiting them with the liquid fertilizer to get the underground growth too.
German Bock
gwk453

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:11 am

So does it have to be up?? I am growing mine up about 2 feet and then I am making them grow sideways....so far they haven't complained and are about 3-4 feet long

I used to grow them sideways as well but when I switched to all vertical I got better production.That may also be because the plants matured but I really think vertical helps.
mtyquinn

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:34 am

gwk453 wrote:Wow Triple nice digs ... Man... classy way to relax and enjoy a cold or hot one ! Enjoy!

Thanks man, I worked hard for this.
It also helps that I bought it at the end of 2010 and got a fantastic deal 3.2% fixed 30-year mtg.

And +1 for better production on vertical bines.
I went from 8' to 10', then to 13' and the yield keeps going up. Some of this is from the plant maturing, but from what I've read, the taller the trellis, the better.
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:07 am

About half the cones on my 3rd year Cascade look like they need to be picked already :shock: I guess I'll harvest about 3 or 4 times this year. My first year Chinook is at the top of 13" lines and also has thumb sized cones already. I'm shocked but pleased with all this, although my 1st year Columbus and Centennial are not very agresssive. 1st year Willamette growing fairly well.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown