Re: Hop Rocket as a filter for a plate chiller

Wed May 23, 2012 6:55 pm

TastyMcD wrote:I have no doubt running the Hoprocket in its normal direction without a pump will provide some filtering. I just want to be clear that running it in the opposite direction with a pump "pulling" the wort will compress the hops to the point that the wort can hardly get past the filter bed. The hops are compressed so much that they're literally like a brick. It may be hard to tell in this picture but the bottom of the hopsack is perfectly flat and you can see the hole marks from the screen.

Tasty

Absolutely - and adding the bag into the mix is going to make it a mix of both depth and barrier filtration. It'll be most effective.

But, addressing the OP's question rather than your particular technique - the bag isn't at all necessary in order to have the hop rocket serve as both an effective hopback for flavour/aroma infusion AND as a a perfectly effective trub and hop filter to go before a plate chiller. Used as its designed, it does both eminently well. Bag not needed and pump not needed.

Hoprocket operating under gravity and oriented as it was designed.

Nicely compacted plug of hop that the wort had to filter through - it comes out more than acceptably clean. I have no issues running it through my plate chiller with no whirlpool or post boil rest. Nor do I have issue with the level of clarity for brewing quality purposes - and I care about cast wort clarity.

So IMO - the answer to the OP's original question is a simple YES. The hop Rocket can be used as a filter to go before your plate chiller.

TB
Thirsty Boy

Thu May 24, 2012 6:49 am

Well never mind then.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Fri May 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Maybe in the Southern hemispere you use it your way and in the Northern hemisphere there is Tasty's way. I bet you both make great beer thanks for all the effort in your responses. I wouldnt be suprised if someone laid it on it's side and it still worked.
With respect :jnj
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Mon May 28, 2012 8:55 am

Dude, there's no arguments here - just options. I hope I didn't make it seem that way, its not what I meant to do.

I'm 100% sure Tasty's way works and works beautifully, I dont think he's gathered the reputation he has by doing shit that's ineffective. Equally, I'm sure my way works... and like you said, probably sideways and three other ways too. To be honest, the most deeply suspiscious I am, usually follows being given brewing advice that tells me " you cant do it that way... it'll never work".

So its all about options and not crossing any of them off your list unnecessarily. The plan was to give you another one.

TB
Thirsty Boy

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:46 pm

TastyMcD wrote:That thread was about a hopback. I'm not saying the Hoprocket isn't a hopback. In fact, I'm using a Hoprocket. I'm just running it in the opposite direction. I've also removed the screen that's attached with a wingnut. Because I "pull" the wort out of the hopback (modified Hoprocket) using a pump that's on the cold side of my plate chiller, the hops (which are in a hopsack) are pulled against the bottom (formerly top) screen compressing the hops, slowing the flow, and forming a filter that the wort has to pass through.
Tasty

Tasty
Does that mean your setup is kettle>hoprocket/hop back >plate/cf chiller (if that is what you use>pump>fermentor?
I'm tring this setup myself but with the pump is right after the kettle before anything else.
Thanks
On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:47 pm

PSUHomebrewer wrote:Tasty
Does that mean your setup is kettle>hoprocket/hop back >plate/cf chiller (if that is what you use>pump>fermentor?
I'm tring this setup myself but with the pump is right after the kettle before anything else.
Thanks

Yes, my setup is kettle, hopback, therminator, pump. There's a picture on my FB page with a Q&A that should answer all your questions. You can see my whole system there as well. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4128258440331&set=a.4128145877517.2181798.1099548411&type=3&theater

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:30 am

Alright that it!

Time to put the wall back up around the Aussies and turn off their internet, bunch of convicts! :asshat: :jnj
CRBrewHound

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing