How would you describe the flavor of rye malt?

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:28 am

I had a red rye ale at the brewpub last Friday and it was fantastic. It was a different flavor, but I couldn't really describe what it tasted like.

What flavors do you guys get from rye? I can't describe it at all.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Re: How would you describe the flavor of rye malt?

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:48 am

I think dry, with an earthy spiciness. Think of rye bread flavor. If you get some rye grains to brew with, chew on a little of it. I also use some flaked rye with it if I want to increase a crisp, dry and spicy character. I brew my Panama Red with 16% rye, 8% flaked rye and dry hop with Amarillo. 5.5% ABV. It's my summer Red Rye Ale. :jnj
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

Dry. Tangy. Sharp. Sour. Like rye bread. And oily mouthfeel.
ajdelange

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:50 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to pick up a growler tonight and see if I can pick out those flavors. At $9.50 with $6.50 refills, it's a cheap study!
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Wed May 23, 2012 8:23 am

Don't forget the rice hulls! I've had more than a few stuck sparges with rye malt.
Find success in college, work with a college success coach at http://www.deliberateliving.org/
Tom from Raleigh

Sun May 27, 2012 6:53 am

I get a full creamy mouthfeel from rye additions. Quite noticeable in lower gravity beers. As for the flavor - dry, earth and slight spice.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 7:26 am

I like to add a bit of rye to my IIPA's. It gives the head a VERY thick almost whipped cream type of head. I dont add enough to impart the flavor enought to call it a Ryipa. Only about 10-15% of the grain bill. I love the mouth feel that it brings. Rye, light crystal and a shit ton of 2row is a geat base for an IPA.
Mini-Best of Show, 44/50 - Gold State 2012 - Giddy Gremlin RyIIPA
SILVER! -Gold State 2011 - Bourbon Vanilla Porter
Joe'Bronco

Return to Brewing Ingredients