Brutus Ten Burner Issues

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:28 am

I am completing my Brutus Ten build and test fired the 10" Banjo High Pressure burners for the first time yesterday. The high pressure flow concerns me due to the lack of a pilot safety and difficulty in "fine tuning" the flame. So to solve this, I am considering converting the burners over to low pressure LP (different orifice size and regulator).
Has anyone ever used the low pressure burners in this configuration? How was the performance?
brockmech

Re: Brutus Ten Burner Issues

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:40 am

I did it. It works fine, but you lose alot of power. Flame can get real lazy if there's a breeze. Orifice size is around .089". I'm using honeywell pilot safety/solenoid valves which can't handle high pressure.

You running automation now? There aren't many solenoid valves that can handle high pressure....that are cheap anyway.
BrianL

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:38 am

You might be able to use an adjustable regulator to help fine tune you flame to somewhere in-between "high" and "low" pressure.
Quin

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:32 am

I drilled the orifice out. I keep the mash burner much lower than the BK and HLT burners. I also have a 0-30 adjustable regulator. I am able to run 2 burners at a good flame without much of any issue. The only problem is when all the burners are off pressure can build up and require me to "vent" the pressure, basically just opening the BK valve and closing real quick. Im looking into putting individual regulator in my gas line.
jmcamerlengo

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:05 am

Just don't try to use cardboard to close things off, Justin style...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Return to Brewing Sculptures