New Brewer from Santa Barbara County

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm a New Brewer and new to the Forum. Brewed My first Batch November of 2011, I've Been brewing 5 gal. all grain batches every two weeks. Mostly Ales from 1.040 to 1.070 OG. Not adjusting water yet, just having fun and learning my system. Built all my own gear. Converted Keg with a built in Chiller, Therm and, Sight gauge. 10 Gallon cooler mash tun with manifold. Started Fermenting in a Bucket and Carboys in a dorm fridge but, just recently was lent a 7 Gallon Conical by a neighbor who went 10 gallon.
I found the BN through John Palmers site, I learned a lot from Brew Strong before my first batch.
DIRTYBIRD

Re: New Brewer from Santa Barbara County

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Welcome. Sounds like you started off runnin! Brew on!
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:04 am

DIRTYBIRD wrote:I'm a New Brewer and new to the Forum. Brewed My first Batch November of 2011, I've Been brewing 5 gal. all grain batches every two weeks. Mostly Ales from 1.040 to 1.070 OG. Not adjusting water yet, just having fun and learning my system. Built all my own gear. Converted Keg with a built in Chiller, Therm and, Sight gauge. 10 Gallon cooler mash tun with manifold. Started Fermenting in a Bucket and Carboys in a dorm fridge but, just recently was lent a 7 Gallon Conical by a neighbor who went 10 gallon.
I found the BN through John Palmers site, I learned a lot from Brew Strong before my first batch.

Sounds like you have an awesome set up. Where in SB are you from. I started brewing my sophomore year at UCSB. Now I live in SF, and continue to brew up here.

Pics of the set-up? I'm looking to upgrade to an all-grain set up.
Apostrofides Brewing

On Tap: Holiday Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Lager
Up Next: High Gravity Blonde
Apostrofides

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks guys, I'm in the Santa Ynez Valley, Buellton to be exact. Sucks that the SB brew supply shop is gone...there is a new one opening right here in tourist town Solvang. I'm stoked 5 minutes to a Homebrew shop.
I'll post pics of my equipment.
DIRTYBIRD

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Yes, certainly sounds like you've dived (dove?) into the deep end, and are splashing around and having a good time. Most people who have been brewing for less than 6 months certainly aren't as far along as you seem to be in terms of process.... hell, it took me years to move to all grain!
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Yeah, I thought that i wanted to brew extract in the beginning but as i built my gear i just realized that i didn't want to do it twice so i just went for it. I sat in on another semi new Brewer's Session before i even started. I found that it wasn't as hard as it seemed. I felt that I might be bored doing extract batches. I still plan to try an extract batch someday just to become a better informed Homebrewer.
DIRTYBIRD

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:53 am

Let's see if I can post a pic from my FB page...
This pic should be my Keg Conversion.
I used one Coupler for the my Dump valve and pick up tube
And Two Half Couplers for my Thermometer and Sight Gauge.
The Sight Gauge is Pex Water Supply Line. It can handle beyond Boiling Temperatures
The Push in Fitting is just a 90 Degree Shark Bite Elbow
the Vinyl Hoses on the left are for my built in Chiller...They get warm and soft but not anywhere near melting...
I'll add QD fittings when I get some extra cash.
DIRTYBIRD

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:00 am

This is a shot of the built in Chiller. I thought i was being innovative by doing this,
I later saw quite a few pics online of people doing the same.
Either way i thought it was cool. I didn't want to have big goofy copper lines
coming out of a notch in my lid. right now the coil sits about a half inch off the bottom
and is sized for a 5 gal batch. I will build a taller coil when i step up to 10 Gal someday.
Hope to get a pump in the future. When I do I'll weld in a Whirl pool tube.
DIRTYBIRD

Next

Return to New Users