Second brew help

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Hello All,

I'm planning recipe for my second brew. I'm debating between wheat beer, stout or porter but open to other suggestions. No recipes that require lagering at low temps please.
thanks
madchemist83

Re: Second brew help

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:54 pm

For a second beer you are wise to go with a darker one such as a stout or porter like you suggested. They do well to hide flaws (if any arise) and age nicely due to the antioxidant properties of the dark roasted grains involved.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:10 pm

What do you like to drink? It makes sense to brew something you'll like... A stout or porter might be more forgiving, but pale ales, IPAs and other beers could make sense too.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:59 pm

I like to drink doppelbock but I have no means of keeping low controlled temperature :|
so I guess it'll be porter or stout .. maybe russian imperial
madchemist83

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:08 pm

RIS will take a lot of conditioning time. I think for a 2nd batch, you want something you will be able to drink while your 3rd batch (the RIS) is conditioning.

German Hefeweizen, on the other hand is one that DOESN'T require much conditioning time at all, and they are about the easiest recipes to make, and they are quite forgiving and flavorful.

6 lbs dry wheat extract (it's usually 50/50 or 60/40 wheat and pilsner malt depending on the brand)
1 oz 4% Hallertaur @ 60 mins
1 pack Wyeast 3068 Bavarian Hefeweizen yeast (most agree this is head and shoulders the best yeast for a weissbier)

That's it!

10-14 days or so in the primary (check the gravity), no secondary needed. Prime, bottle, and 2 weeks later they are ready to drink.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks Bdawg. That's exact yeast I was thinking about. Now my plan was to use some grains too. You think pilsen and munich malts would work?
madchemist83

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:59 pm

A lb of Crystal 10 would be good. You only need to steep it. No mash required.

I recommend you wait a couple batches before jumping to partial mash.
You need to work on other procedures first, like controlling fermentation temps, etc in your first couple batches. You still haven't proven whether your sanitation procedures are sufficient. (They may be, but they may not and since you haven't brought a batch all the way to drinking yet, those are yet to be explored processes). Those need to be conquered first. Once you have 2 or 3 batches finished and in your belly, then step it up to the next notch.

It is good you want to do so, but crawl first, walk next, and run later.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking. First have a glass of my first brew and then start a new one.
madchemist83

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing