Re: How long can beer be kept in 5gal keg?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:21 am

Yup. You can never have enough kegs.

Figure out how many you want to have on tap, add some for cellering/lagering, and then triple the number. ;)

I have 16 kegs but wished I had 10 more (err, I mean make that 30 more).

Kal
kal

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:55 am

Yeah, I'd say that style is the most important determinate of how long you can age... hops will drop early and hefe's won't keep.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:21 am

yep you can never have enough kegs, especially if you start brewing beers that benefit from aging and blending like sours. I purchased a pallet about 5 years ago, $18 a keg and like an idiot i sold ten of them. Now I wish i had them back. I have 30 (5s) 3 (3s) and 2(2.5s) and I want more.
BrewerJ

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:31 am

What a relief!
I have a few kegs in my kegerator that are sitting idle. I'm thinking that they might just be the best ones yet!
One is an Arrogant Bastard style "clone", a stout and a couple others. I cant remember off hand.
I also have the barleywine that I dosed with the dregs of a bottle of Surly 5. That sucker should be one sour mammajamma!
I also have a barleywine in a bucket(primary) and a jalapeno ale in a bucket(primary). I'm pretty sure those will be screwed, but it is worth it to check. They are in the basement, which is aroun 50 degrees or so. Hopefully, I won't have to pour them out, but we will see.
:jnj
snowcapt

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:32 am

Yup. Never sell!

We bought 16 pallets between our local brewers about 4 years ago. $12 each and many looked like they were only used once they were in such good shape. In fact, many were still half full of soft drinks (premixed) so some of the brewers chilled and drank it before using it for beer!

I only bought 10 on that order... I should have bought a lot more!

Kal
kal

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:52 am

my cream ale is holds up about 3mos... but solo i can kill a corny in 7 days not trying that hard.
mordantly

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing