IPA yeast choice and fermentation temps

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:44 pm

I have built an American style IPA all grain recipe with Amarillo and Centennial hops. Beer smith has it at an estimated OG of 1.073. I am trying to decide what yeast strain to use, and I am thinking one of the Califiornia Ale yeasts. I have recently built a controller to be able to control fermentation temps in a spare fridge. I want to create an IPA with pronounced hop flavor and aroma that is clean. Trying to eliminate any off flavors, diacytel, etc.. What is the best yeast strain to use for this and what kind of fermentation temps should I use? Temp probe will be taped to side of carboy. New to the forum, so hook me up brew brethren!
stardog30

Re: IPA yeast choice and fermentation temps

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:36 am

I always use WLP001 / Wyeast1056 for American IPA. Since you are at 1.073 001 will attenuate really well and get you down to the 1.0teens. And I never get Diacetyl with it. Pitch a good sized starter as that is a pretty big beer and dry hop the shit out of it! As for Temps start around 65 for 3 or 4 days and let it rise naturally to 68-70ish after the krausen falls. Just because you are fearing Diacetyl. Good luck dude!
--------- Ben the Brewer ---------
--Brew Strong, Brew Often, Brew Proud--
BenTheBrewer

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:22 am

+1 on WLP 001. I make a good size starter, pitch at 66 or 67 and raise the temperature a degree or two after two or three days to help fermentation finish.
keelanfish

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:15 am

I wrote to Wyeast and asked them the same question, with less detail on the hops used, assuming I needed a low Ester producing yeast that accentuates the Hops - they simply came back with 1056.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:52 pm

On another board I someone kept recommending Nottingham dry yeast at 59 degrees for super clean almost lager like ferments..... I had to find out. So I tried exactly that on my last batch of ipa and am currently blown away at how clean, crisp, and best yet clear and bright the beer was after just 5-6 days in primary. The hops plow through and there are zero esters of any kind from a normally estery yeast at upper ale temps. This may replace us05 for me for my clean American style ale yeast. I highly recommend people trying it, if you need a dry yeast.
duckmanco

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:22 am

I like WLP007 Dry English Ale for my American ales. Fermenting around 68F it is fairly clean, but has a little more character than WLP001. If that makes sense? Vigourous fermenter, fermentation is usually done in 3-4 days. Attenuates as well as WLP001, but floccs like WLP002.
Hoser
Hoser

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:36 am

WY1056 or WLP001 are excellent choices.

Lately I've been using the dry variety (Safale US-05) as it's so much easier and is almost identical in taste. Just slightly different. Still very clean/neutral. Ferment at atound 66-68F.

Kal
kal

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks for all the info guys! Actually went ahead and ordered Wyeast 1272 Am. Ale II, before I read the replies. I will see if that gets me the results I want. Definitely gonna ferment at the low end and bump up temp after a few days. Thanks again gentlemen.

:bnarmy:
stardog30

Next

Return to Fermentation