thinking about brewing a panty dropper...

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:01 pm

Last year I did a bavarian hefe, extract, from BCS. The ladies liked. Thinking about doing something more of an american wheat with some fruit. Raspberry Wheat perhaps? Now that I'm brewing all grain, with a converted cooler and batch sparging, how much trouble am I looking at as far as a stuck sparge with 40-50 wheat?
• considering: first lager
• primary:
• secondary:
• drinking: JBA batch #2
• bottle conditioning: Best Bitter
• recent past: (AG) Rye IPA rebrew; rye saison; BCS Cal Common, Rye IPA, Tasty APA, JZ's Cowboy Altbier
jimlin

Re: thinking about brewing a panty dropper...

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:10 pm

With the help of rice hulls you should be okay.
rlynge

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:29 pm

rlynge wrote:With the help of rice hulls you should be okay.

Just mix the rice hulls in with the rest of the grains and stir the mash like normal?

As for the fruit... if I can get some kind of frozen raspberry purée do I need to heat it to sanitize, or will the hombrew shops carry something I can just dump in the secondary to rack onto? Not looking for the berry to dominate, just give a nice extra something.
• primary:
• secondary:
• recent past: (AG) Rye IPA rebrew; rye saison; BCS Cal Common, Rye IPA, Tasty APA, JZ's Cowboy Altbier
jimlin

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:39 pm

For the fruit look for a 3 lb can of oregon fruit puree that is sanitary out of the can. The three lb can should be enough for a 5 gallon batch and I would put the beer in a secondary with the fruit puree in the fermenter first and rack the beer on top of it. Here is a link to it on northern brewer http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oreg ... puree.html
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:09 pm

For the hulls, use ~5% of the weight of your wheat and you should be fine... Rinse it first, then just add it along with the rest of your grains in the mash and stir.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:21 pm

I agree that if you are worried about stuck sparge then I would use rice hulls.

However, I have brewed 10 all grain batches of an American Wheat and have never had a problem. I believe it depends on your setup of your mash tun, etc.

One thing I can say about American Wheat is to drink it fresh. I have found that they taste best about 3 weekse after brewing.
BrewerAdam

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Here's a proven one for you to consider...

Here's a recipe I came up with a couple years ago that the guys in my brew club have nicknamed the "Panty Melter".
It's an American Wheat with Orange Blossom Honey. Every guy who brewed it for his wife/gf was happy with the result. :D

I really like this beer. It's almost 7% but drinks like it's about 4%. The honey comes through great if you add it either in the primary or at flame out.

Note that there's a button in the top right on that web page that will convert the AG recipe to Extract if that's what you want.

http://www.brewtility.com/ViewRecipe.aspx?RecipeID=49

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:18 am

Qucik question about the mash on that recipe. I'm using a converted cooler as a mash tun, so it's single step infusion for me. The recipe mentions a protein rest at 131 for 15 min and then sacc rest at 152 for the remainder. Can I get away with just the 152 single step?

BDawg wrote:Here's a proven one for you to consider...

Here's a recipe I came up with a couple years ago that the guys in my brew club have nicknamed the "Panty Melter".
It's an American Wheat with Orange Blossom Honey. Every guy who brewed it for his wife/gf was happy with the result. :D

I really like this beer. It's almost 7% but drinks like it's about 4%. The honey comes through great if you add it either in the primary or at flame out.

Note that there's a button in the top right on that web page that will convert the AG recipe to Extract if that's what you want.

http://www.brewtility.com/ViewRecipe.aspx?RecipeID=49

HTH-
• primary:
• secondary:
jimlin

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles