Brett and more funk

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:40 pm

I have brewed three brown ales with 100% Brett B. & don't get the amount of funk I am looking for. Should I change to a different strain, try secondary only, or look to adding pedio & or lacto in secondary. If you have a good experience with this and can chime in, let's hear it.
pepperford

Re: Brett and more funk

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:02 pm

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The- ... -Sour-Beer
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/596

Check these episodes out... they will help a ton! About to brew my first sour tomorrow using White Labs SOUR MIX ... if you're not familiar with it, it has sacc. , brett. , lacto. , and pedio.! Lactose and pedio is where you really get your funk!

:jnj
Josh
Jbug

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:52 pm

having done a couple of all brett beers ithink that instead of intensifieng the funk the beers actually come out cleaner than using it in secondary. so sticking with a secondary addition after the main ferment is finished would be my choice of method if i was looking for more funk in the final product.
beerhog

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:20 am

When you primary ferment with Brett, it behaves like saccromyces so it will not express that funk your are looking for. It generally ferments rather clean. You need to stress it, i.e. secondary fermentation, to get that funk. At least that has been my experience in using Brett as a primary and secondary fermentor. That being said, you can warm it up and let it age to see if it starts to express more "funk".
Hoser
Hoser

Return to Fermentation