DMS in my Tripel!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:05 am

Just tasted my Tripel, first keg pour, and got a lot of creamed corn. Don't remember tasting this from hydro. tube. I have read all the threads I can find on this but still not sure what happened. 88% pilsner malt. Single infusion mash at 150, but left it for a couple hours till I came back home. Did'nt think that would be a problem in itself. I boiled for 90 mins and chilled to pitch temp in 40 mins. I'm afraid that this won't go away and I've got 2 full kegs of it. Thanks for any input on this.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Re: DMS in my Tripel!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:19 am

How did you do your hop additions?
Did you use a nylon mesh bag?
Alcohol for me is not a problem, its a solution. And I need to solve about twelve problems tonight.
Scharf

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Hops at 60 and 15 mins. Yes, I used a nylon mesh bag as I have on my last 12 or so batches and never had this before. This is the first time I've brewed a Pilsner Malt based batch since going all grain and suspect it's relation to the DMS. My system now does not allow step mashing but did'nt think a single infusion mash would result in DMS with 90 min boil and reasonable chill time.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:36 pm

reason I ask is because I had this happen to me as well
traced it back to the mesh in the nylon getting gummed up to the point that the wort trapped in the bag was not boiling or circulating. Meaning it did not get rid of the DMS in that part of the wort.
Since I stopped using the bags, I haven't had this problem
Alcohol for me is not a problem, its a solution. And I need to solve about twelve problems tonight.
Scharf

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:48 pm

How vigorous was your boil? You didn't boil/chill with a lid on the pot did you?

~widget
Buttwidget

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:01 pm

The mesh bag I used was only about the size of my open hand so I would be surprised if that was it. No, I did not have a lid on the kettle until after I chilled during transfer. My boil was rolling, but not jumping really high. Think that was it?
scotchpine

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:18 am

Possibly some funk in the draft lines could be producing DMS? If it's not from infection, the only other reasons would be boil length/vigor and cooling time.
Chupa LaHomebrew

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:44 am

I think I'm going with the vigor of the boil. I kinda new better going in cause I made sure it went 90 mins, but next time I'll make sure the boil is super vigorous the whole time. This is my first DMS batch and I fear it won't go away, so someone let me know if there's still hope for this 10 gal. batch.
scotchpine

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing