Dopplebock Fermentation

Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:11 pm

OK - I've always done session beers (everything was less than 1.060) so a "big" beer is new to me. I brewed up a 1.085 dopplebock. I pitched the slurry (WLP833) from a helles. I rinced the yeast slurry (1.5-2L) and pitched it into a 1L starter on brewday to get it active. That fully active starter was pitched into the beer later in the day (at 47F) and was fermenting the next morning. It fermented vigorously for a number of days (at 50F) and slowed down after 4-5 days and was showing no bubbling in the airlock at 10 days. I took a gravity reading on the 10th day and it was down to 1.028-30. There is still a lot of yeast in the beer - very cloudy just no signs of active fermentation.
This is about 65% attenuation and that yeast should do about 75% attenuation.
Again, this big of a beer is new to me. Assuming I keep it at 50F for another 10-15 days should I expect to see this continue to slowly drop down to about 1.020? I've always seen my 1.055 beers ferment out (actively) in 5-6 days and basically stop there (where they were expected to finish) so my experience says that this is done.
So, a little help for a newb in the deep water of these high gravity beers.
Prost......
You can do things the right way or the wrong way.
Or you can do it MY way...which is like the wrong way, only faster.

Up Next - ?
Fermenting - Destructificator Dopplebock
On Tap - Marzen, Helles
Bottled - Double Decocted Dunkelweisen
Fred69

Re: Dopplebock Fermentation

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:39 am

Well it's still young for a big lager, let the beer warm up a bit 55-60 and it should help finish the beer without affecting the flavor
BrewerJ

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:40 pm

+1 to J. Give it some time and let the yeast keep working. They will still drop the gravity a bit more even if you observe minimal airlock activity. That was a good idea to raise the temps a bit to keep those yeasties working hard for you. You can also pull off a diacetyl rest if you boost the temps higher. Have no worries, your dopplebock will be great!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks guys..... I've raised it up a few degrees and will check it weekly. I thought it would take a bit longer just never dealt with so many fermentables before.
You can do things the right way or the wrong way.
Or you can do it MY way...which is like the wrong way, only faster.

Up Next - ?
Fermenting - Destructificator Dopplebock
On Tap - Marzen, Helles
Bottled - Double Decocted Dunkelweisen
Fred69

Return to Fermentation