homemade hop torpedo

Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:19 pm

I have a homemade torpedo devised for dry hopping like SN. It is an inline dairy filter. It is a try-clover canister with screen filters inside, you probably have seen them around. It is about 18" long and 5" wide. Beer goes in one end and out the other, passing through the filter chamber on the way. The chamber can hold a pretty good amount of hops.

I am looking for process advice. What I think I need to do is ferment the beer and then after primary fermentation is complete, drop out the yeast and then recirculate the beer through the torpedo. My plan is to pump it out the bottom, down throughout the torpedo and back into the fermenter through a tube in the top. It sounds like a day is probably enough from what I have been able to find, but I have no experience to draw from on this. I have also heard different advice related to the temperature of the beer in this process - cold or cool?

Like I said, I am all ears on this one. I will gladly share what I learn, but want to at least start in the right neighborhood.
Last edited by Brewpastor on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before I learned to brew I was poor, lonely and sober. Now I am just poor.
Brewpastor

Re: homemade hop torpedo

Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Here is an image of the type of filter unit I am talking about.

Brewpastor

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:23 am

Where do you find something like that? Looks awesome, BTW!
Hoser
Hoser

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:55 am

I got it on ebay. We had one at the brewery that we used inline to screen out green chile from our chile beer, so when I saw it on ebay I had to buy it. Now I know why I needed it!
Brewpastor

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:21 am

From all the different interviews on the BN on dry hopping beer, warmer is better. Most of the recomend mid sixties or fermentation temperature. It seems awesome but also like a lot of work just to dry hop. You have a lot of things to clean and sanitize. Also make sure you have a complete seal, if you pick up any tiny bubbles then you are just oxygenating the hell out of your beer. Let us know how it works.
BrewerJ

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:41 am

All I ever do is clean brewing equipment! So I guess it is either "what is one more" or "why the hell am I making it so firkin hard".

Thanks for the input. I will keep the army informed.
Brewpastor

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:59 am

Cool! I made a Torpedo out of a Lexan gas purifier cartridge, but I'm stalled out for lack of a pump. I'd like to have a variable speed ~0.1 to 1 gpm peristaltic pump, but they're pricey. Been checking eBay, so far no joy.

I'd say ferment completely and rack it off the yeast. Torpedo at whatever your preferred dry hopping temp is. Time wise I dunno. If it were me I'd start with 0.25 gpm for 24 hr, and crack the Torpedo open and see how much residual aroma the hops have. I'm sure the best time and flow rate will become obvious once you get into it.

Charlie
Charlie

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:16 pm

You bring up a point I have been pondering, namely controlled pumps. What are the possibilities of some dimmer switch kind of set-up? I am aware there are issues with this, but I can't recall what they are or what I could do about them. Of course I can always place a valve on the outlet end of the torpedo.
Brewpastor

Next

Return to Fermentation