Boldness Comment in Recipe Cloning Show (4-11)

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:29 am

I was listening to the show and there was a note about cloned brews turning out "bolder" than the target brew. Later in the program Jamil was mentioning that there is a scale up of malts to account for the lower efficiency in the home brewing process.

It is very possible this is the source of the extra boldness because in the home brew, there would be more malts used per water volume vs the ratio used in a commercial process that is getting maximum efficiency.

I would imagine that is it possible that the home brew grain bill scale up could create a scenario where more soluble flavor components are extracted from the grains during the mashing and sparging since there is a higher grain mass / volume ratio. Just a thought!
SpinachEater

Re: Boldness Comment in Recipe Cloning Show (4-11)

Fri May 13, 2011 1:25 pm

I'm not sure if your 'just a thought' is actually plausible, as I don't understand anything you just said. Could you rephrase that? At least so that we understand it?
suprchunk

Fri May 13, 2011 1:39 pm

I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying, and I didn't hear that show, but I agree that it at least hypothetically could make sense. Basically you could be extracting about the same amount of the grain's flavor by weight, but because your efficiency is lower (and therefore you are compensating by adding more grain), you are getting a more flavorful wort with the same amount of extract. Seems very possible.
Chupa LaHomebrew

Sun May 15, 2011 11:54 am

That's the rationale behind no sparge brewing.
ChrisKennedy

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?