Citrus Bomb IPA recipe

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:30 am

I've received a number of requests to post the recipe for my Citrus Bomb IPA that we were drinking during the 4/10/2011 show. It features a couple new and interesting hop varieties, Delta and Falconer's Flight. Check it out and brew it up!

10 gallon batch. Adjust accordingly depending on your batch size..
81% American 2-row
10% Belgian Pils
5% Crystal 15L
2% Carapils
2% Turbinado Sugar
Mash temp 152F, 45 minutes. Mash out 165F 15 min.
Mash hop: 1.50oz Delta
60 minute boil. All kettle hops are whole hops.
18 IBU Magnum @ 60 min.
15 IBU Columbus @ 30 min.
10 IBU Citra @ 15 min.
10 IBU Amarillo @ 10 min.
7 IBU Delta @ 5 min.
Flame out: 2oz. Amarillo, 1oz. Citra, 1.50oz. Delta
Wyeast 1056 or WLP001
Dry hop at 10 days into fermentation: 6oz. Falconer's Flight
1.068 - 1.012, 7.41% ABV

The idea was to create a citrus-focused IPA, one that doesn't rely so much on a dank-centered dry hop, as in my other go-to IPA, North Oakland Double IPA.

Here's some more information about Delta:
http://www.hopsteiner.com/pdf/US04188-Delta.pdf
(Cross between Fuggle & Cascade.)

Statement from Hop Union about Falconer's Flight:
"Hopunion LLC Falconer's Flight™ is a proprietary pellet blend comprised of many of the Northwest's most premier hop varieties including the highly acclaimed Citra™, Simcoe®, and Sorachi Ace along with experimental hops and numerous other NW varieties."
http://www.glenfalconerfoundation.org./press_releases/2010_Hopunion_Falconer%27s_Flight_Release.pdf

If I can get my hands on a little more Falconer's Flight I plan to re-brew this for the BN Club Night and Hospitality Suite at the NHC.. And if I don't drink the rest of this keg between now and then I'll send the rest down to the Southern California Homebrewer's Fest.. Might be tough to keep my hands off of it.
Last edited by nahthan on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers! Kippis! Skål! Prost!
-Nathan Smith <nate@destroy.net>
Twitter: @nathanhomebrew
nahthan

Re: Citrus Bomb IPA recipe

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:20 am

Nathan do you have the alpha that your hops were at? At least for the flameout/dry hops? Or the weights used as well?

Thanks!
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:24 am

Sounds great, I want some!
ChrisKennedy

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:27 am

thatguy314 wrote:Nathan do you have the alpha that your hops were at? At least for the flameout/dry hops? Or the weights used as well?

Thanks!

I prefer to give brewers IBU amount for the additions that contribute bittering, and then weights for any mash/flame-out/dry hop additions. That way each brewer can use their own preferred methods of calculating the exact weight for the bittering additions based on their own favorite software, formula and that individual hop's AA% range, or even substitute in a slightly different hop with a different AA% range.

Given that, I should mention all the IBU calculations that I did were in Rager with Promash.
nahthan

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:43 am

Thank you Nate, that is a fun recipie. If you need to make Falconer's Flight it can be done. I would start with Amarillio and cut it with the non-Dank citrus hops. I was given a list of the hops but I did not write it down. :roll:
Dream it, Do it.
Colin Kaminski

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:05 am

Awesome, thanks for the recipe! Looking forward to trying it.

I was wondering, is there a danger of DMS from the small percentage of Belgian Pilsner malt? I guess a general question is whether recipes with small percentages of pilsner malt require a 90 minute boil.

Anyhoo, thanks again!
Jeb
Jeb

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:34 am

Jeb wrote:Awesome, thanks for the recipe! Looking forward to trying it.

I was wondering, is there a danger of DMS from the small percentage of Belgian Pilsner malt? I guess a general question is whether recipes with small percentages of pilsner malt require a 90 minute boil.

Anyhoo, thanks again!
Jeb

Jeb, it was a real hit, give it a shot.. No DMS was perceptible from the 60 minute boil. Either the boil was aggressive enough, or the amount of pilsner malt was small enough not to have any negative impact.

Gordon Strong really enjoyed it, it was really cool to serve that one for him and get his feedback.

Sadly there isn't enough from this batch to send a keg down to the So. Cal Homebrewers Fest, but I did send down a great keg of CYBI Shakespeare Stout with Justin & Co.. I do plan to re-brew the Citrus Bomb for the NHC, I got my hands on some more Falconer's Flight just last week.
nahthan

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks for the recipe and for the information about the pilsner percentage. Stoked to brew it in a few days!

Great that Gordon Strong enjoyed it, nice work Nathan!
Jeb

Next

Return to The Sunday Session