Free The Hops boycotts A-B InBev products in Alabama

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:29 am

From http://www.freethehops.org/blog/2011/04/about-the-boycott/:

"Unfortunately, powerful special interests occasionally seem like too much to overcome. This time it’s Anheuser-Busch and their distribution network in Alabama. It has become increasingly clear to us that they have been working hard to defeat our bills over the last few weeks.

This all started when Doug Bailey, a high-powered lobbyist with Anheuser-Busch, came to Alabama and started drumming up opposition to our Brewery Modernization Act. The Alabama Wholesale Beer Association is not opposed to this bill, but Mr. Bailey was successful in convincing many Anheuser-Busch wholesalers in this state to work against us.

We were offered a proposed compromise. We counter-offered, they counter-offered, and in the end we actually liked what was proposed - we were ready to accept it if they were ready to support it.

Then they reneged. The compromise was no longer acceptable, and they offered another compromise. This went on for some time, and each time the ball on the Brewery Modernization Act was moved farther away from what was acceptable. Their latest proposed language, given to us this week, was nothing short of an abomination.

If that whole ordeal seems like a stalling tactic designed to waste our time, well… I can see where one would reach that conclusion. We’re no longer playing their game.

Anheuser Busch and their individual distributors have every right to work the legislature against the Brewery Modernization Act. They can be opposed to a jobs-creating, economic development bill that would benefit local business. They can oppose craft beer and Free the Hops. But the craft beer community and Free the Hops can oppose them too.

Anheuser-Busch products and products from their distribution network are now banned from Free the Hops events. This will have its first big effect on the Rocket City Brewfest and will continue with the Magic City Brewfest unless the Brewery Modernization Act becomes law in a form we find acceptable.

We also call on our members and supporters to boycott these products. Here is a list of which products are carried by these opponents to craft beer.

This ban and boycott will be in effect until the Brewery Modernization Act becomes law in a form we find acceptable. The ball is in their court."

http://www.freethehops.org/blog/2011/04/breaking-free-the-hops-boycotts-anheuser-busch-and-their-distributors-in-alabama/

"The Board of Directors of Free the Hops has voted to ban all products from Anheuser-Busch and their local distributors from Free the Hops events until further notice. This is a direct response to their efforts against our bills. The aims of the Brewery Modernization Act are to provide a friendlier environment for the brewing industry in Alabama and to remove the crippling restrictions which prevent new breweries and brewpubs from opening. The Gourmet Bottle Bill would legalize 22 oz. and 750 mL bottles of beer in Alabama. Some of the best beer in the world is available only in these container sizes and Alabama is the only state in the country with this restriction.

The vote for the boycott was unanimous, with one board member recused from any discussion or vote due to conflict of interest."

As a FTH member, I'm a little divided. It seems like a great way to send a message, but many craft breweries being distributed here by A-B are being caught in the middle. Some of these breweries were here as soon as they could after the Gourmet Beer Bill passed in 2009. I'm talking Tommyknocker, Great Divide, Avery, Boulder, Gordon Biersch...

http://www.freethehops.org/blog/2011/04/correcting-misinformation/

"We are not boycotting Back 40, Great Divide, Avery, or any other craft brewery. We are boycotting a group of distributors that are working against the interests of craft beer. In fact, they are working against the interests of these breweries.

Unfortunately, this group of distributors carry these breweries in Alabama, so they are getting caught in the crossfire. We hate that, and it was not an easy decision. It was first brought up several weeks ago – no one should have been surprised by our decision today. Not the breweries, not the distributors. We only pulled the lever on this when it became clear that these distributors were either intentionally stalling us or, at best, that they were not willing to compromise on some fundamental issues with regard to the Brewery Modernization Act."

I know this isn't a homebrew issue (HB266, the Homebrewing Legalization Bill, will supposedly be brought back up in the AL House of Representatives on Tuesday), but I was wonder what everyone's take on this is.
Free The Hops!
L.A. Lagers

Corporal, BN Army Gulf Coast Division :bnarmy:

On Tap: Drake's IPA & Blond Ale
In the fermenters: Nada
Next brew: Janet's Brown Ale (1st all-grain brew!)
motivatedslacker

Re: Free The Hops boycotts A-B InBev products in Alabama

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:33 am

http://www.freethehops.org/featuredcontent/boycottlist.php

There's the list of boycotted products in the state...and it includes Four Loko. :shock:
Free The Hops!
L.A. Lagers

motivatedslacker

Boycott A-B/Inbev nationally!!!

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:40 am

As the details trickle out, it looks like one of the lobbyists down here creating problems for the FTH legislation was sent straight from AB corporate. So I'm asking everyone to boycott them on a national basis. Show your support for better beer in Alabama.

From the article linked above:

"This all started when Doug Bailey, a high-powered lobbyist with Anheuser-Busch, came to Alabama and started drumming up opposition to our Brewery Modernization Act."

This Bud's NOT for you! Miller High Life is now my official Lawnmower Beer.
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:17 am

The more I think about it, a few things come to mind.

1. I think it's safe to say that members of Free The Hops aren't really consumers of AB products. So, I doubt Bud, Landshark, and its own "craft beer" segment would drop in sales thanks to this boycott. The craft breweries that are carried in AB's distribution portfolio would be hurt.

2. I'm wondering if the breweries that will be impacted by this boycott have gone after their AB distributor to change their minds. Maybe a little education would help.

3. If this boycott is to work, a lot more people than the ones that belong to FTH would have to be educated about why this is a big deal. Most people don't know or don't give a shit who brings the beer to the store. They just grab it off of the shelf and buy it.

Something just isn't stirring the wort here.
Free The Hops!
L.A. Lagers

motivatedslacker

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:58 am

Yep, I'm already boycotting ABI products, it seems.

... reads the list ...

Wait, is Moylan's an ABI brand, or just something distributed by ABI in Alabama?
pfooti

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:16 pm

pfooti wrote:Yep, I'm already boycotting ABI products, it seems.

... reads the list ...

Wait, is Moylan's an ABI brand, or just something distributed by ABI in Alabama?

just something distributed by Birmingham Budweiser in Alabama
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:44 am

Fuckinig lobbyists.....ALL need to be taken out back of the wood shed, and have their scrotums cut open with a dull, rusty knife, and have their balls removed!!!!!

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:06 am

This is the problem - The DISTRIBUTORS hold all the cards.
They say who gets in and who doesn't.
They have the final say on which beers you can drink and which you can't.

Many states have asinine 3 tier laws and such. And since AB-Inbev or MillerCoors controlls the distributors, they control which beers get on the shelves.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Next

Return to General Beer Related