'10 Centennial

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:39 am

Has anyone been getting non-typical flavors from their '10 Centennial Hops? Some of my brew buddies and myself have been getting a kinda tannic flavor with them. I sourced my hops from Hops Direct.
Vitamin T

Re: '10 Centennial

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:08 am

I have had bad luck with Centennial for the last two years. I don't use it at all anymore.
ChrisKennedy

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:31 am

Vitamin T wrote:Has anyone been getting non-typical flavors from their '10 Centennial Hops? Some of my brew buddies and myself have been getting a kinda tannic flavor with them. I sourced my hops from Hops Direct.

I haven't noticed anything like that, but I have noticed it's a bit less pungent this year. Still very tropical, but seems to have less of that candy-like flavor, and just less flavor overall. Gotta use more of it. Still good though...
herbaljoe

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:54 am

I have been getting an oxidized or cardboardy flavor from them. I brewed 2 Pales Ales within 2 weeks of each other. The one with more Centennial got these characteristics.
Nothing outraqgeous and most people do not notice. In going back over previous recipes the amount of Centennial used correlates to the slight off flavor.
Beer makes you smart, drinking is art.
www.fritzbrew.com

Corporal BN Amy
Fritz Eye

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:07 pm

Vitamin T wrote:Has anyone been getting non-typical flavors from their '10 Centennial Hops? Some of my brew buddies and myself have been getting a kinda tannic flavor with them. I sourced my hops from Hops Direct.

Got 8oz from Northern Brewer back in Feb of this year-
I did a Bells 2 hearted clone--
We did not pick up any oxidation or off flavors from the hops...?
On Tap - Cigar City Jai Alai 1/2Brl
Aging - Oaked Sublimely Self Righteous Clone
Fermenter - AHS 20th Anniv IPA
Up Next - Amarillo IPA

Memories
- Cascade APA
- Bells Two Hearted Clone
- DFH 60 Clone
- Hopsecutioner 1/2Brl
Fishhy

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:19 pm

I heard the same thing (plus plasticy aroma) last year about CTZs. I never picked up on that and used them alot. Used Cents (Hops Direct and Fresh Hops) a few times this year including an all Cent IPA never noticed any off flavors
http://www.embracethefunk.com <----My Sour Beer Website

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS- The BN Army: Dirty South Squadron
Proud 2010 Fallen Soldier Winner
Proud 2009 Caller of the Year Nominee

POLLO ASADO!
Brandon

Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:39 pm

Some of you guys must be getting better Centennial than I've been able to find the last few years..

I'm with Chris.. I haven't found any REALLY good Centennials in the last 2 years. Some OK at best: slightly fruity, citrusy but also kinda waxy and grassy. Some others are really weird and smell like grandma's old potpourri and diacetyl right out of the bag before they're even in the beer. I've tried Centennials from every local and mailorder source I typically use. I used to lean heavily on Centennial for hoppy beers. I've nearly stopped using them in the dry hop because of this.. Started blending in more Amarillo and playing around with stuff like Citra and back to Cascade and Cascade derivatives as a result.

Back in 2009.. WOW, there were some excellent Centennial available to us homebrewers, now either they're gone completely, or someone's found the right ones to contract out exclusively. Oh well, time to get creative..
Cheers! Kippis! Skål! Prost!
-Nathan Smith <nate@destroy.net>
Twitter: @nathanhomebrew
nahthan

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:56 am

Are people noticing a difference between whole hops and pellets or mostly just pellets?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients