Gordon Biersch changeover

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:36 pm

What is the story with Gordon Biersch, first the new owners start clearing house and start f'n up the Rock Bottom brewer heirarchy, then they make Oscar Blues pull the Gordon label from their imperial red cans...what ever happened to collaboration not litigation mentality among craft brewers? Or has Gordon Biersch faded away from the craft brewer and gone "chain" I think "the dan" nees to come back on the show and enlighten us.
iceclimber

Re: Gordon Biersch changeover

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:54 pm

iceclimber wrote:What is the story with Gordon Biersch, first the new owners start clearing house and start f'n up the Rock Bottom brewer heirarchy, then they make Oscar Blues pull the Gordon label from their imperial red cans...what ever happened to collaboration not litigation mentality among craft brewers? Or has Gordon Biersch faded away from the craft brewer and gone "chain" I think "the dan" nees to come back on the show and enlighten us.

You answered your own question here:

iceclimber wrote:...the new owners...
HoozierDaddy

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:18 am

you vote with your dollars.
Don't vote for this nonsense, Dan Gordon is a friend of the BN..... doesn't matter, his parent company is bullshit.
Trader Joe's has some good private labeled GB beer's but I won;t buy them anymore, discount included, not worth it
mediumsk

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:41 am

Before you jump to a brash statement, maybe a little more information is appropriate. Gordon Biersh was both a packaging brewery and a restuarant chain under one company. Due to laws, it had to be broken into two pieces. Mr. Gordon stayed on with the packaging brewery. The restaraunt chain has moved in another direction. The restaraunt chain is the entity which threatened to sue. From Mr. Gordon's previous interviews on the BN, it sounded like he now had very little to do with the chain.

This is the challenge when you sell a company that in part carries your name.

The Fool
Last edited by bikefoolery on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
bikefoolery

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:49 am

Here on the east coast I never even knew this happened... Will it affect the brew pubs too?
"Owning a Type R is like a dream... You wake up and it's gone!" - some Honda guy
pythoner

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:49 am

I just saw this on Badrock's Facebook post yesterday, so I wrote to GB's marketing dept. Here is the response, just so you have the other side of the story.

Dear Andrew,

I understand your consternation over the information you probably received from the blog postings below. Let me assure you that, as is often the case with the internet, they are relatively devoid of facts and context.

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/3299175

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2 ... kar_bl.php

http://beernews.org/2011/01/gordon-bier ... s-for-usin

While it is true that Dan Gordon, a founder of Gordon Biersch, has asked Oskar Blues to change the name of the beer “Gordon” it is a little more involved than the Beer Advocate posting would imply. Oscar Blues came out with a single beer named “Gordon,” in memory of the late brewer Gordon Knight, in 2002. Dan Gordon has been producing German Lagers and Hefeweizen with the name Gordon Biersch on the label since 1988. Dan asked Oskar Blues to change their beer name to “Knight” or some other moniker that consumers would not confuse with his beer for years. They had settled on a verbal agreement that Oskar Blues would not sell the brand “Gordon” in states where Gordon Biersch is distributed, which did not include Oskar Blues’ home state of Colorado. Oskar Blues did not hold up their end of the bargain and that is why legal action was taken.

Please keep in mind that all businesses have the right and obligation to protect their trademarks. We have received cease and desist letters over the years for beer names such as “Summer Fest” and have always complied out of respect for our brewing brethren, if in fact they had the name before us. This includes the most respected craft breweries in the country, there is no resentment, it is simply good business.

http://brewpublic.com/beer-news/merger- ... t-brewers/

As far as the post on the “Brewpublic” blog which asserts that Gordon Biersch is forcing Rock Bottom brewers to all make the same beers, that is simply false and frankly bizarre. Management and Brewers from both companies have the utmost admiration and respect for each other and the beers we produce, as well as the people who enjoy them. We acknowledge that we do many things differently, but we embrace those differences and would never take any action to jeopardize the quality, variety or consistency of our beer.

That said any merger is like a marriage, meaning there will be some changes and compromises and we are still trying to figure out what those might be. There has been some discussion of developing a few consistent core brands at Rock Bottom, as we have at Gordon Biersch, but by no means would that entail restricting the “freedom” of the Rock Bottom brewers to create and serve their wide variety of award winning styles, from mainstream to extreme. There also seems to be some misunderstanding of what we do in the brewery at Gordon Biersch. True all GB breweries produce the same five classic German styles, all of which have won GABF and World Beer cup medals, but we also allow our brewers to come up with their own more “out there” interpretations of German biers. Last year we received GABF medals for Rauchbier and Eisbock and we are currently producing Imperial Pilsners and Sticke Alt beers as well.

I implore you to keep on open mind about what “Craft Beer” is and who defines it. We have 68 hard working brewers whose livelihoods and families depend on the wisdom of beer connoisseurs such as yourself not to let be led astray by the self appointed “experts.” Like beer, information is best when it is obtained fresh at its source. So let them chatter all they want, we will continue making some of the best beer you can find on the planet in hopes that you will appreciate imbibing it as much as we appreciate your patronage.

Prost,

Kelly Wilson
Director of Marketing - Brewery Restaurant Group and Specialty Concepts
CraftWorks Restaurants & Breweries, Inc.
423-424-2021
Neuron_Theory was brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot.
BN Army Corporal - 1st Minn. Lakefront Divison
Prost!
Neuron_Theory

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:19 am

That is one of the best responses I have ever seen.
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
BrewBum

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:56 am

Wow. Great to see a response that wasn't pasted from the same generic template every other company uses.
Resident Minarchist
lunchbox

Next

Return to General Beer Related