Witbier

Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Hey kids. Anyone have experience with Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Witbier) fermenting really slowly at the low end of its temp range (63-64 F)? I did one almost two weeks ago, pitched a proper size starter of 3944 that was active at the time, and the beer still has a 2" krausen on top and I can still see activity in the carboy and in the airlock. I haven't done a gravity reading because I didn't want to open it, but I might just do one this weekend if the krausen hasn't fallen.

I'm not too concerned yet, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.
Neuron_Theory was brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot.
BN Army Corporal - 1st Minn. Lakefront Divison
Prost!
Neuron_Theory

Re: Witbier

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:14 am

I am using the same kind of yeast 3944, and it has been fermenting steady, it's been a week now today and still chugging. I pitched a proper size starter of 3944 that was active at the time, and the beer still has a 2" krausen on top and I can still see activity in the carboy and in the airlock as well. My starting temp was 68 and have been rousing the yeast about every other day maybe more frequently. Last night I bumped it up to 69 to speed things up. Any one else use this yeast and have found the same things to be true?

If a admin happens to see this could you maybe move this to "fermentation" thanks.
lazerface

Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:31 am

It may just be a characteristic of the yeast I suppose. My beer finished at 1.010 for an apparent attenuation of 76.6%. No off flavors that I tasted in the sample, but I haven't had the conditioned beer yet.
Prost!
Neuron_Theory

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:33 pm

This yeast strain is a notorious "top cropper". That means that your krausens will be huge b/c all of the yeasties rise to surface of the wort and frequently stay there instead of fermenting your precious malt sugars below. Lazerface has the right idea by every other day or so gently swirling the fermenter to knock the krausen and yeast back into suspension so they can finish their job. Just be patient and they will complete their fermentation. Raising the temps a bit towards the end into the low 70's can also help with better attenuation.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Same issues with the white lab version of the wit yeast. Need to swirl the carboy frequently after the first day or so, fermentation takes forever, but it's worth the wait. Not sure what they do with the 14 gal + fermenters
On tap: American Stout, ESB
Fermentor: CYBI Union Jack Clone
Desertbrewin

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:40 pm

10th day of fermentation on my Witbier, seems to have a little something going on still a little bubble every 5-10 seconds out of the blowoff tube. Raised temp to 70F and will rousing 2 times a day about 12 hours apart. Hopefully it stops within the weekend so i can give it a 3 day diacetyl rest.. Temp controlled fermentation environment come at a premium at this house.
lazerface

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:56 pm

should I be concerned with the black dots that have appeared after fermentation was complete. The beer tasted fine before I keged it. wyeast 3944 belgian witbeer
lazerface

Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:43 pm

Did the krausen come all the way up and touch the inside of that cap? And if so, were there spices in the beer, and a few spice particles stuck to the cap?
Prost!
Neuron_Theory

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing