Shit! No mill!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:54 pm

I was army homebrew shop earlier and bought some crystal 60 for steeping. I got all the way home before I realized that I didn't ask them to mill it for me. I plan to brew Saturday, but I don't have mill. The shop is too far to drive to before I brew.

Any solutions?
hockypunk

Re: Shit! No mill!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Coffee grinder or ziploc and a rolling pin.
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
BrewBum

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Ziplock bag and rolling pin. I think that the coffee grinder may cut it up too much. Then again, you are just steeping and not mashing. Hmmm....I think that I would still use the rolling pin.
Bruck

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:59 pm

If rolling pin is not an option, then use the bottom edge of a frying pan (cast iron works the best) or large pot to crush the grains.
That's the way they taught us at culinary school back in the day.
Alan
alan_marks

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks everyone. I figured the coffee grinder would be too fine. I'll use the rolling pin. Love pulverizing....I mean light cracking.
hockypunk

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Still a proponent of the blender, which works much much better than a grinder or rolling pin or anything else you could come up with. See link for extreme details.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtop ... er#p622858
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:27 pm

well, if you have a mexican market around you somewhere, which I do because I'm in The City of Angels, they sell Corona mills and other grain mills really cheap. You might just like to make the investment if you can.
M
La Ola es Mio!
SoCal Surfer

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing