1st yeast starter...no krausean

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Started a WL Cal Ale Yeast starter tonight. 3/4 cup DME in just under 2 liters. I actually split 3/4 DME in two 7/8 liter Mason Jars. Followed the Brewstrong Podcast technique to the tee..just hit 4 hours and no krausean. I dont have a stirplate yet, so Im shaking each every hour. Lots of sediment on the bottom. The DME might have been a little old, could this be a problem? It was bolied well so Im not worried about contamination, just lack of activity so far. I pitched the yeast at around 74F, but it was very clumpy I actually bought it 2 weeks ago (well refrigerated). Im probably being impatient, but just thoughht I'd throw this question out for the experts out there...planning on using 1/4 of the starter with bottling my hi ABV Stone Ruination Clone (last batch under carbonated) , and then using the rest in about a week on an IPA. Thanks in advance...
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Re: 1st yeast starter...no krausean

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:43 pm

By this time your starter should have finished fermentation. It generally takes 18-24 hours for a starter to complete fermentation. You were probably just getting over anxious to get it going. Often you miss the krausen altogether if you are letting it go overnight. Take a look at the color of the wort. If it got noticeably lighter in color that is a good sign that everything fermented out okay. Also look at the amount of sediment on the bottom of your container. If that has gotten noticeably deeper, you have more yeast.

If you aren't sure, check the gravity.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Another hint that fermentation is underway is by vigorously swirling the jar and seeing if there is any gas evolution forming.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:06 pm

brewinhard wrote:Another hint that fermentation is underway is by vigorously swirling the jar and seeing if there is any gas evolution forming.

+1 was gonna say the same ........
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:13 am

I rarely see a real foamy head on my starters, even before I had the stirplate to devolve the gas. I tend to see some bubbling, increased opacity, and an increase of yeast at the bottom of the bottle/flask/container for all the strains I've worked with (ales) except for weizen strains, which are, of course, known for the great degree of foaming they generate.
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks a lot for all the feedback. Im on my second starter right now. Pitched it last nite, brewing a Ginger/Grapefruit Wit tomorrow. This one has to be good, its the wife's idea and I need the points to continue brewing... :) Just hit 28 hours on this one, lots of bubbles. I dont have a stirplate yet, just giving it a shake every hour or so. This is the best hobby ever...
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:36 am

thatguy314 wrote:I rarely see a real foamy head on my starters

Agreed. I don't have a stirplate either, but I always make sure to stand near the sink when I shake them. They usually foam up quite a bit after a vigorous shaking.
Neuron_Theory was brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot.
BN Army Corporal - 1st Minn. Lakefront Divison
Prost!
Neuron_Theory

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing