gravity points

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:20 am

Last week I brewed the dry stout recipe from BCS. I am wondering if I received any gravity points from the 2 pounds of flaked barley and the pound of black roasted barley, or did the entire 1.042 come from the 5 pounds of pale LME. This is a 5 gallon batch.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: gravity points

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:35 pm

bazookazilla wrote:Last week I brewed the dry stout recipe from BCS. I am wondering if I received any gravity points from the 2 pounds of flaked barley and the pound of black roasted barley, or did the entire 1.042 come from the 5 pounds of pale LME. This is a 5 gallon batch.

Both of these are unmalted and won't have any sugars available to add to the gravity. If you mashed the flaked barley with some malted barley with high enough diastatic power you would be able to get some conversion. In short, all the gravity came from the LME.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:43 pm

thanks for the tip. Does the same thing go for crystal malts and such?
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:56 pm

I would assume that you could get a little gravity from the steeped specialty grains, but usually there is little conversion there. The majority of your gravity comes from the Liquid Extract. Even in all grain brewing if you are looking to up the gravity (or extracted sugars), its always best to up the base malt. IMHO the change in gravity that specialty malts is not enough to worry about.
--------- Ben the Brewer ---------
--Brew Strong, Brew Often, Brew Proud--
BenTheBrewer

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:05 pm

bazookazilla wrote:thanks for the tip. Does the same thing go for crystal malts and such?

Crystal malts have already been converted, so you would get a little gravity from them but the amounts normally used are pretty low so you wouldn't get much increase in gravity.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 pm

I see
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Bugeater wrote:
bazookazilla wrote:thanks for the tip. Does the same thing go for crystal malts and such?

Crystal malts have already been converted, so you would get a little gravity from them but the amounts normally used are pretty low so you wouldn't get much increase in gravity.

Wayne

Well said Wayne...and might I add...the sugars added by the Crystal are less fermentable than the ones you get from the extracts and/or basemalts.
262andbrew

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing